Living aboard a Boat

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Living aboard a Boat

Post by GAHorn »

I talked to someone at the convention who was considering living aboard a boat. I mentioned I had a good book about the subject and would loan it to them. Now my Alzheimers has flared up and I have no idea who it was...or if the conversation really even happened.
Does this ring anyone's bell?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

Whats the name of the book?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It was Velvet.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Funny name for a book 8) :lol:
Doug
Randolph

Boat?

Post by Randolph »

I heard she was getting a little dinghy.
GAHorn

Re: Boat?

Post by GAHorn »

Randolph wrote:I heard she was getting a little dinghy.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(But ask her about her experiences oaring around!) :lol: :lol: (Whoops. Might get paddled over that one! Oh Bouy!) :lol: :lol:
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

SO........What's the name of the book?
Velvet

Post by Velvet »

Bill,
Just ignore those clowns. Responding only encourages them. If George actually sends the book to me, I'll let you know what the title is.

soon to be up the river without a paddle Velvet
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

Curiosity killed the cat. I was just wondering because I read a book about living aboard a boat a few years ago and was curious if it was the same book or not. With the lack of a title I think I can assume that it was in fact the same book.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The book is "The Essentials of Living Aboard a Boat, The Definitive Guide for Lieveaboards" by Mark Nicholas. His website is: http://www.livingaboard.net which includes a cost spreadsheet discussed in Chapter 6 of the book. He also recommends another site:or two http://www.sleepingwithoars.com and http://www.sailnet.com

The author is a good read and funny besides informative. He also discusses downsides to living aboard which the typical wannabe may not consider. (About two hours of clanging from the mast down the dock will drive you nuts unless you really love that sound, and if you like to wake up in the morning shower....you probably won't like living on a boat less than 150 feet long.) :?