Johnson Crk ID

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

pif_sonic

Johnson Crk ID

Post by pif_sonic »

Well the wife and I flew to Johnson Crk ID this morning. There was a 180/185 Fly-In this weekend, I did not know that until we arrived. I was a little intimidated as I started onto final approach. Both sides of the runway had planes parked on it. There were probably 50 planes parked there.

As you fly south through the canyon approaching final, it is a little intimidating. I got the plane slowed for a good approach, slipped it a little and just let the 170 fly to the runway. I came over the ‘numbers’ at 60 mph, straightened the plane out and did very nice three-point landing. The 170 is a lot more stable with the new Horton STOL Kit on it. If any of you have a story about Johnson Crk, please share.

My wife took three great pictures of us on final. As soon as I remember how to post them I will. If any 170 drivers want to make a trip to Johnson Crk for a night of camping, let me know. We can go in on a Saturday and fly home Sunday. What a great place to fly to.
God forbid we should ever be twenty years without a rebellion. ***Thomas Jefferson***
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

I'm a flatlander now. I must say, I hate the sound of that. I used to live at 9500ft in Summit County Colorado and ski all winter but that was another live. I now live in Tupelo, Mississippi, but I am planning an Idaho trip later this month. Not sure I will make Johnson Creek this time. I am going to Sandpoint then most likely make a trip or two out of there. I have been told Cavanaugh Bay is awsome 'cause what all it offers there and is only 17 miles from Sandpoint.
You may have read the thread that I started "Trip to Idaho" in order to get some info. I must say it has been helpful to say the least. I was just wondering:
Is your 170 powered by the stock engine? What kind of conditions did you have at Johnson? How did you 170 do? What is the proceedure in and out.
I am get anxious and can hardly wait.
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
pif_sonic

Post by pif_sonic »

When we landed it was about 65-70 deg. I had about 12 gallons of fuel on board. It was me (180 lbs), my wife (120 lbs) and my daughter, (35 lbs). Don’t tell my wife I told you guys her weight. We only had about another 50 lbs of gear on board. I made sure we were light for the take off. Landing was very nice. When we left it was about 85 deg a slight head wind. The 170 climbed out of there at 400-500 ft a minute.

The runway is 17-35. You land on 17 and take off on 35. I read a lot of threads on here and backcountry.org on info about Johnson Crk. I thought it was pretty easy all in all.

When you start this way send me an E-mail and the wife and I will meet you for breakfast in Sandpoint, if you are interested.
God forbid we should ever be twenty years without a rebellion. ***Thomas Jefferson***
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

That sounds great! We should be in the Sandpoint area the last week of August. We made reservations at Sleep's cabins for the 28 and 29 that's all they had. Before and after that is still undetermind. My wife's idea of camping is "no room service" :lol: . I will have the tent along but may not even unpack it. Still looking for options to entertain us but not sure about exact arrival dates. Are you in the member book?
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
pif_sonic

Post by pif_sonic »

Ok I am going to attempt to post a few pictures. If it works, let me know what you think of the approach into Johnson Crk.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

According to AirNav it's 3400' long and at 4933 elev., warning to watch out for "sprinklers" on the runway. Is that what those folks are doing at the approach end? :lol:

(OK, Thanks, Curtis...don't know how the msg got into the other thread.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)