GST TAX

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Randolph

GST TAX

Post by Randolph »

Doing a little bookeeping this morning. I didn't really spend that much, did I?
I vaguely recall someone saying something, in Kelowna, about filling out a form and having your GST tax refunded to you. Could anyone elaborate on this? Is there a form one needs to fill out? If so, can anyone post a copy or specify where one can be located? Thanks Randolph
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Here is a link to the form

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/gf/gst176/gst176-06e.pdf

Found it easily using Google searching for "GST tax refund". Do the search and you'll find a bunch of info.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Randolph

Lessons Learned

Post by Randolph »

Bruce, thanks for the link to the form, never thought about Googling it.
After studying the form I have learned another interesting lesson which I will pass along to anyone else for future reference. While staying at the Ramada, next to the Sandman, I frequented the restaurant several times and the bar on several occasions. I could very easily have charged the bills to my room but for some reason I chose to pay cash. In reading the form for the refund of the GST tax, I see that they won't pay up on any bills under $50 Canadian. That means that I get the $46 back from my room but not the smaller amounts from the meals and the necessary trips to the lounge. Had I charged them to my room, I could have recouped those smaller amounts as well.
As my mother likes to say: A penny saved is a penny earned.
Randolph
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

Jim,

I also learned a interesting lesson upon returning home and doing the book keeping. I have always been told when in Canada use your credit card for most purchases because the credit card company will do the conversion. Well, I discovered two things: 1) The Credit card company does a great job doing the conversion 2) The Credit card company charges a fortune for doing the conversion. I should have used Canadian currency and charged other items to the room. Now I Know. Greg and I enjoyed your company.