Canada/Alaska Trips

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

yukon170b

Post by yukon170b »

I fully agree with you!! On the long July week-end my wife and I flew from Whitehorse to Watson Lake, up to the Nahanni River, along the river to Virginia Falls (circled 3 times) and through all the canyons to Nahanni Butte, then to Fort Simpson for the night. West to Little Doctor Lake, south to Fort Liard and up the Liard River to the Hot Springs, then South to Muncho Lake for the night. Back to Whitehorse via Watson Lake.

1952 C.170B / O-360 $ 69'000 (Can S)
Call Out charge in Fort Simpson $ 100 8O
Average fuel cost $ 5.75 /gal

12 hours of great flying fun!!
A really happy wife (for the great scenery AND for a wonderful plane!) priceless!

We both would not want to miss this.
Ed
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

yukon170b wrote:I fully agree with you!! On the long July week-end my wife and I flew from Whitehorse to Watson Lake, up to the Nahanni River, along the river to Virginia Falls (circled 3 times) and through all the canyons to Nahanni Butte, then to Fort Simpson for the night. West to Little Doctor Lake, south to Fort Liard and up the Liard River to the Hot Springs, then South to Muncho Lake for the night. Back to Whitehorse via Watson Lake.

1952 C.170B / O-360 $ 69'000 (Can S)
Call Out charge in Fort Simpson $ 100 8O
Average fuel cost $ 5.75 /gal

12 hours of great flying fun!!
A really happy wife (for the great scenery AND for a wonderful plane!) priceless!

We both would not want to miss this.
Ed

Hello Ed,
We toured the Nahanni River Valley 3 years ago from Alaska and it is indeed a spectacular trip. Spent a night on the mine strip in Tungsten NWT before touring from the Cirque of the Unclimbables/Glacier Lake downstream to Nahanni Butte. The folks in Nahanni Butte didn't seem overly friendly and camping looked marginal so we went on to Fort Liard. Didn't go to Fort Simpson at all. A $100 call out fee for gas there is totally off the map though. Was this on the Island or the main paved airport out of town?

Regards, Bruce
yukon170b

Post by yukon170b »

The call out charge was at the main airport. Before we arrived we called the airport over the radio and asked for fuel. We were told that fuel was only available at the main airport and so we landed there to fuel up. The fueller showed up very quickly and his first question was "where do I fuel this thing up?" the second question was "where do I ground this thing?" . . . and then he pulled out the Jet fuel hose!!!!!! By that time my answer was loud and VERY clear! So I guess the call out charge is more something of an 'educational' charge - this means you pay to educate.

We then flew the 6 miles to the town strip where we could leave the plane in the gated compound of Simpson Air. Ted Grant is very helpful and also sells avgas without charging a call out fee - and he might even know how to handle a 170 . . . (call ahead to make sure they know you are coming).

Ed
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

These posts for Canada/ Alaske trips should be under a thread for trips so we can find them for reference in the future.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT