m-20 air oil seperator

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bipolar

m-20 air oil seperator

Post by bipolar »

Hello all
Been almost a month now since I ferried the new toy home and it has not moved since.FAA DAR guy says not all info that was reqd was sent by MOT
MOT says FAA guy should know what info is reqd and asked for it.
Bottom line is I figure another 5000 ought to put me in the air if I dont stroke out first.
So the hunt continues.Would any member out there have an STC cover sheet(the one with the FAA stamp)for an M-20 air oil seperator.I have all the other paper work but that is not good enough.While I am at it, my aircraft has Slick mags MOT says I need a cover sheet for that mod also however Slick says a PMA part is already compliant and does not need a cover letter.If anyone can shed some lite on this it would be greatly appreciated.
Look foreward to be able to post some flying tales soon as opposed to the above.
Fly safe folks and beware an export Cof A may not be worth the paper it is printed on.
bipolar
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Has the inspector put his requirements in writting? Hopefully he is working with you. This occurred to a friend and is an example of how it can go wrong. A Beaver s/n 12 is inspected prior to commercial service, the inspector notes that the serial number data plates are missing for the wings. The inspector has the plane pulled apart to inspect the data plates and asks for the new owner to install them for all major components. The new owner phones the parts department and orders data plates. When the owner goes to pick them up, several $K's later, the parts guy at the counter asks him why he wants data plates for s/n 12 when De Havilland didn't start putting data plates on Beaver major components until s/n 60. :oops:
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The Slick mags assuming they are the correct mag for your engine/application per Slick, are PMA'd as direct replacement parts for the already approved mags.

What a PMA means in simple terms is in this instance that the Slick mag is the same as say the Bendix mag that is approved.

So if the Slcik mags you have are approved replacements under a PMA then no other bases of approval is required. It's like replaceing a Bendix with a like Bendix except it's a Slick. Got it.

Of course there should be paperwork ie at least a log book entry that the replacement was done.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

Guys,
If you have access to the cover sheet of an M20 STC PLEASE help Bipolar out!

I know for a fact that the M20 was legally purchased when the aircraft was registered to the owner before me, but it appears that the actual STC paperwork is no longer with the aircraft records. I've tried calling the M-20 folks myself to obtain a copy, but since I'm no longer the registered owner and the aircraft has been deregistered I was told that they couldn't help me. :(

If you're unable to get ahold of Bipolar, send me a PM and I'll provide you with a fax number to send the front page to.

After hearing about all the grief Transport Canada is putting him through, I'll be biting my tongue next time I feel the urge to say something bad about the FAA.

Thanks in advance!
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

IMHO he should just take out the oil separator and throw it in the trash so no one else can use it. There is a good discussion on them here... http://cessna170.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... light=anus
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
bipolar

m-20

Post by bipolar »

Interesting but I will keep it if I can,17 hours of flying from Texas to Alberta very clean belly.
bipolar
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Why don't you simply remove the M-20 AOS until after the aircraft is inspected and then put it back on at a later date if you want it.
BL
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

Bipolor,
Finally some Super Cubbers came through. I've faxed off a blank STC cover page to the fax number you provided me.

Good luck and give 'em hell!

ps. if you want it, I'll pass my avatar along to you. Just copy/paste it. I'll change mine once you've set up your own.
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
mit

Post by mit »

CraigH wrote:Bipolor,
Finally some Super Cubbers came through. I've faxed off a blank STC cover page to the fax number you provided me.

Good luck and give 'em hell!

ps. if you want it, I'll pass my avatar along to you. Just copy/paste it. I'll change mine once you've set up your own.
Cubbers=bandits 8O :D
Tim