Fly in games or contests

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle Wolfe

Fly in games or contests

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

OK, I've searched this site as well as the internet and haven't found much that describes how to do a spot landing contest, a flour drop, a poker run, etc. Sure, I've got a pretty good idea on the events having participated in some, but would appreciate hearing from all of you regarding what type of flying events you've seen, how they were run, and what other fun flying events might there be?
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Kyle,

Here are the rules for the spot landing contest that EAA Chapter 1000 has in conjunction with their annual fly-in.

1. Only one landing will be judged. This will be your first landing.

2. Spot landing attempt should be declared on CTAF prior to final approach.

3. Target touchdown point is a chalk line about 150' beyond desplaced threshold.

4. Touchdowns prior to the target touchdown point will be disqualified (No landing short)

5. Distance is measured from target line to the first touchdown point of the main landing gear

6. Helicopters, ultralights, VTOL or V/STOL aircraft are not eligible.

7.Aircraft must have a valid registration number (N-number or equivalent)

8. Only fly-in participants are eligible. To be considered a participant, the aircraft engine must be shut down in the fly-in parking area.

9. The decisions of the judges are final. No Whining.

These can be adjusted to fit the circumstances. I personally disagree with #5, as I feel that for tailwheel aircraft, the landing spot should be counted as the last spot that all three wheels stay on the ground; in other words after all the bouncing is done. For nosewheel aircraft , it should be the last spot the mains touch.

For poker runs, I suggest putting each card in a sealed security envelope marked with the name of the airport. As each contestant brings back 5 envelopes (one from each airport), a judge staples them together and marks them with the contestants name. When they're all in, then each hand is opened and scored. Having sealed security envelopes keeps down the amount of finaggeling that goes on. :wink: (I think it was at the Lakeland Convention in '98 that a plane load of folks mixed and matched their cards for a winning hand, then split the pot. :evil: ) If you have the manpower, it also helps to have a person stationed at each airport to distribute the envelopes. If one of the airports has an active control tower, give them a heads-up to expect x-number of airplanes at a certain time.

Hope this helps, Miles

PS: Kyle, you wouldn't be sneaking around planning a Convention behind our backs, would you? I'd love to have a good excuse to fly to Minnesota. 8)
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I agree with your disagreement. The LAST bounce is the point which is measured. (And the LAST point where BOTH mains are on the ground is the one that counts. No x-wind techniques to artificially attempt a shorter landing.)
The only fly ins that I've hosted that had spot landing contests offered FOUR levels of trophies. Student pilots could use any manner of flaps and power to make the attempt. Private pilots could use any power and flaps as long as only REDUCTIONS are made from the downwind point to touchdown. (No reduction of flaps or adding of power.) Commercial Pilots had to use idle power from downwind and could not use flaps but could use slips. ATP and Flight Instructors could use only idle power, no flaps, no slips (but S-turns are permitted.) Heh-heh.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
theduckhunter

Post by theduckhunter »

the way I was always taught to compete was parallel to the intended landing spot on downwind you must chop the power to idle. On base you can clear the engine once. No more power additions. Flaps, slips, whatever is fine and landings are done in a full stall configuration and the last bounce is your marked landing spot. I do like the different levels of rules though for different ratings. Also a shorfield T.O. competition and a shortfield landing competition are Lots of fun.

Robbie
Robbie Yeaman
Virginia
2993D, now 2980C a C-180
PartyCrasher

Post by PartyCrasher »

Check out http://www.nifa.us

It's the site for the National Intercollegiate Flying Association. They have some fairly 'involved' rules for some of their events.

-Chris
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

I agree with all previosuly said about spot landing contests. The bombing or message drop contests usually involve a bull's eye pattern on the ground adjacent to a threshold, or in between taxiways, made from flour, generally 100' diameter. Drops are judged based on distance from the center of the bull's eye. Here's a tip - Don't park anything you value anywhere near the Bull's eye.