Battery Box Corrosion

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Battery Box Corrosion

Post by 170C »

Previously it was suggested that a possible problem with my battery box might be overcharging. Assuming the correct level of water in the battery, if it is an overcharging problem, how is that corrected with an alternator charging system and a solid state voltage regulator?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Frank,

What kind of alternator and regulator do you have? My Skytronics (Jasco) solid state regulator has a charging voltage adjustment under the white cap on the upper right-hand corner of the face of the regulator, as shown in the picture below. I'm not familiar with any other brand, but I would expect most solid state regulators to have some kind of adjustment.

Make sure your regulator wiring is in good shape before adjusting the regulator:

If you can, measure voltage at the battery while the alternator is online and charging, as well as the voltage at the BATT (or its equivalent) on your regulator. Ideally, measure these two voltages from the same ground point. I would think you should see somewhere between 13.8 to 14.4 volts (2.3 to 2.4 volts per cell), and there should be very little difference between the voltage at the battery itself and the voltage at the BATT terminal on the regulator. If there is more than a few tenths of a volt difference, check the wiring to the regulator. Even if the alternator is working properly, if the voltage the regulator is reading at the BATT terminal is lower than the actual system voltage because of a loose or bad connection, then the regulator will try to increase output until the voltage at the BATT terminal reaches the voltage the regulator is set for.

My regulator has a ground wire, but many regulators depend on the case for ground. If the ground connection is bad, that can cause the same symptoms. You can test this just by measuring the voltage between the regulator case and a good airframe ground, ideally the negative terminal of the battery.

Hope this helps.

Miles

Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne