Reds Horse Ranch

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N1277D

Post by N1277D »

Sure, stop in/by if your in the area.

Yes - McCall is a small town with traffic issues and has become a very popular weekend getaway. Land prices have skyrocketed, small lots on the lake are pushing 7 figures, lines at restaurants, lots of growing pains there. Urban growth has arrived in some parts of Idaho as well as the other major US metro areas.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Well it is nice to get back on the forum as I thought my computer had had the big one...as I couldn't get on it for a week or so....of course I had to go on a spring bear hunt too....so it's been awhile since I've been back in civilization...

Today I talked to Shelly Steen at Minam Lodge and she is asking anyone who will be using any of their services at Minam Lodge for the upcoming fly-in (camping, meals or lodging) please email or call her by June 8th...this will give them time to have on hand what is needed for those who will be coming....And she said thanks to those who already have made contact....I told her from what I've heard here on the forum we may have ten airplanes in there...

Minam Lodge's email addresss is: steens@oregontrail.net
and their web site is: http://www.minamriverlodge.com
Phone # 541-432-6545

Also the RAWS site at Minam Lodge is not up and running as of today and as soon as I find that is up and running, I'll post the web site...

I also want to add that the self serve gas at Joseph State (4S3) is not available....100LL is available at Enterprise (8S4) and LaGrande (LGD) and both are 20 minutes flying time from Minam Lodge.
Last edited by Abe on Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
'52 170B
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Bill,

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make Red's, as I'm STILL finishing up my engine install (see the last few posts at my engine overhaul topic http://cessna170.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... &start=105 ). If I haven't flown by sometime early next week, it'll be a no go.

If by some chance I do make it up, I'm planning on camping and will bring food, but I was wondering if you are planning on any group meals at Minam's that I'd need to let Shelly know I'd be attending.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Abe

Post by Abe »

Miles,
I have been following your engine rebuild and for those of us that have never taken on a project like that, I'm learning allot....

This being my first shot at a fly-in, I didn't have anything formally planned as a function, but what I was going to do was get three meals a day at Minam Logde for Friday and Saturday and breakfast on Sunday morning (and Shawn said this includes a daily shower)...I enjoy cooking at camp, but I know they'll do a better job than I....It would be nice to have everyone there get around one table and eat and tell a few stories....

Shelly was just needing to know what to plan for food purposes....

And I know Joe's entertainment will not dissappoint any of us.... :lol:

Hope you get your engine up and going and are able to come...
Bill
'52 170B
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

So, is it going to be at Red's or Minam's? I guess I'll see where most of the 170's are parked when I arrive Friday night.

Joe
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Well, I'm very dissapointed in myself, but I'm not going to be able to make it to Red's/Minam's. Even if I do get the engine running soon (no promises), there just aren't enough days left to get the paperwork done and put enough local time on it before striking out on a long cross country involving mountains.

Take plenty of pictures and let us know how it goes.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Abe

Post by Abe »

Joe,
I'm going into Minam and tent camp and get my meals at the lodge with Shawn & Shelly. I was in there yesterday and I'm putting a few photos together of Minam Lodge's strip so the fellows can see it. Minam's strip is in good shape and the volunteers at Red's told me that they were going to mow Red's this weekend. The RAWS weather station at Minam was not up and running yet, but should be "any day".

I'd like to see everyone a Minam, but I want each pilot to land where they feel most comfortable too. It's a short 15 minute stroll from Red's to Minam Lodge on a good trail. Shawn has lots of good parking space at Minam also.

Miles, maybe I could email you my photos of Minam and you could post them...I'll have them to you this evening. And yes we'll think of you while we are there and take lots of photos :D
Bill
'52 170B
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Sounds good Abe, see you at Minam's Friday night.

Joe
Abe

Post by Abe »

Thanks Miles for posting those photos of the Minam Lodge strip, I hope they help folks who haven't been into this area before...Also the RAWS site at Minam Lodge came on line yesterday and I have listed a web site (top)that will get you to it below. Just click on Daily Summary and it will take you to that days weather info. The other web site is a list of RAWS sites in OR, ID, MT and WA. Thought some of you might be interested in some of the other sites also.

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/rawMAIN.pl?orOMIN

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/wraws/nidwmtlst.html
Bill
'52 170B