PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION CHECLIST

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

AZFLIER56

PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION CHECLIST

Post by AZFLIER56 »

I AM TRIING TO LOCATE A COPY OF A PREPURCHASE CHECKLIST FOR CESSNA 170 (A & / OR B).
MY BROTHER IS A MEMBER OF CPA AND THIS ORGANIZATION DOES NOT HAVE WHAT I AM TRIING TO FIND. I HAVE JOINED C170A WANTING TO BECOME BETTER EDUCATED PRIOR TO MY QUEST TO OWN A C170.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Have the inspecting AMT give the airplane an annual inspection and determine that it is airworthy. He doesn't have to sign off an annual in the log book. If you decide to buy it, have him sign the log book off and pay him accordingly. Agree ahead of time on a price for the inspection and a price for a signed off annual if you buy it.
BL
briancbaker

Post by briancbaker »

This topic has been discussed a number of times here in the forums. General wisdom is to get an annual inspection done by a 3rd party vs. a "pre-buy" because there are no set standards for a pre-buy inspection. Here is a link to an earlier thread. Search on pre-purchase, or pre-buy, or inspection and you'll find even more.

http://cessna170.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=556#556

Oh, and you might not want to post to the forums in all caps. This is generally considered yelling and is hard to read. Good Luck!!
Blue Skies!!

Brian Baker
alaskan99669

Post by alaskan99669 »

Since this subject does come up a few times per year (I'm also guilty), can't we post a document that is easily accessible (down-loadable)? I've already got a word document that I created from the "TIC ITEMS OVERLOOKED DURING ANNUAL INSPECTION" document found in the Service Related Articles Manual, but I've added various comments found in this forum that are not in the original document, like "Corrosion above the headliner". I'd be more than happy to forward this document to Velvet or could it be made into a "living" document like the Sticky that lists recommended upgrades for the 170?
Corey
'53 170B N3198A #25842
Floats, Tundra Tires, and Skis
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Corey.

With a document like this I would forward it to George Horn who is the maintenance coordinator. I'm guessing George will look over the document for any glaring mistakes and perhaps with you permission ad a few he knows about.

Then George can forward the document to our webmaster to be included as a PDF on on the members only page.

Of course you could always paste the word document into a post in the maintenance section as is. Then others could add to the list if they wanted. This approach wouldn't keep it at the top but if you named the thread "Corey's Prepurchase Check List" this wouldn't keep it at the top but a search for "Prepurchase check list" would turn it up.

BTW I'm not speaking for George here as to what if anything he would do. I'm just speculating what the chain of events might be in order to put a document on the web site in a more permanent and "official TIC170" capacity. I also don't mean to say the Corey's compiled check list is inaccurate or incomplete.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
alaskan99669

Post by alaskan99669 »

Well I finally got a "one-stop shopping" document built that covers both a checklist to follow during an annual for the 170, plus a list on the last page that compiles problem areas common to 170's. Now when someone is asking about what are common problem areas on the 170 they can follow this URL:
http://www.geocities.com/coreyhome/Photos/170B/Files/
It's available as a Word document or a PDF file. Comments or suggestions are welcomed as I can easily modify the documents.
Corey
'53 170B N3198A #25842
Floats, Tundra Tires, and Skis