New Member Introduction

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

HMA170

New Member Introduction

Post by HMA170 »

Hello C170 owners. I would like to introduce myself as a new member. My name is Perry Oldenburg. I live in Caldwell, Idaho. I am currently shopping for a C170A or B (I have read a lot of pros vs. cons). I would like to congratulate you on the fantastic amount of knowledge within your organization. It has been very helpful. I am a 40y/o retired Army pilot(21 years). A lot of helicopter time (mostly AH-64) and about 700hrs C-12 (kingair). I am finally going to realize a life-long dream of owning an aircraft and have chosen the C170. I am currently shopping for a good airplane (any tips would help). I would like to do a small amount of backcountry flying and am keenly aware of density altitude issues (my early days in OH-58A). I don't want to stir the old hornets nest again but, I will gladly read input regarding A models vs. B models. I plan on operating out of a grass runway 2500' long at 5000' high. Again, hello. Hope to see you at a fly-in.

P.S. Any leads on a good C170 would be greatly appreciated.
Pavewlc

Post by Pavewlc »

Welcome Perry!
I'm a new owner and like you did lots of research; I don't think you can go wrong with either model. They're a blast!
Good to see another helo guy on here! I keep telling folks we're taking over the...stuck wing pilots beware!
Welcome again...

Cheers,
Lee
Lee Collins
1951 C170A
N1733D
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

Welcome! I'm glad you guys are coming to your senses :lol:
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Perry,

Welcome to the club! IMHO, you've selected one of the best all-around airplane types out there. If you haven't already, go to the directory on the Members Only page and look up your Idaho Area Rep. He's just down the road from you in Nampa, and does a fair amount of back country flying in a 145hp B-model.

Good luck in your search!

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Welcome Perry. Glad to have another heli pilot on board. George will have to think twice before making a rotor head joke.

As for the A vs B there really isn't much more to say except whats been said before. Don't pass up a good '48 Ragwing. Oh right, thats been said before. :D

Good luck with the hunt.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
HMA170

Post by HMA170 »

Thanks for the greetings. I often miss flying those helicopters but eagerly look forward to my new C170 adventure. Do any of you guys know anything about the 1949 C170A for sale in MN ? (listed on Barnstormers.com). I am having an A/I take a look at it now.
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Try to determine what kind of flying you will be doing. If you are operating in the mountains on short strips, then it makes a tremendous difference on what kind of set up you get. These planes can be set up for flat landers or mountain flying. Being in Idaho, I would want to have a heater!
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

Perry,

I sure am glad you were not looking for a 170 last year. Like you I spent a lot of time researching and reading this website and decided I wanted a 170 and had never seen one. I bought a 170B in Priest River Idaho from Kelly Mahon. He's a great guy and I love this airplane. :D

I am new here and may not be clear on the rules. So if I break one, some one slap me. I live in North Dakota and drove out to look at the 170A in Minnesota, feel free to call me or e-mail me for a chat. I'm no aircraft mechanic, but I am a farmer and that qualifies me to know about mechanics and anything with moving parts.

If you haven't yet, I encourage you to join TIC170 Association. The cost of the membership is cheap compared to the wealth of information available here.

Bill Kuehn
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Perry, welcome!

I'm in MN. But I'm located on the southern border and the bird is in the northern end.

I've talked to Jim W and discussed his plane. When I was looking for a bird, I seriously considered going to look at his but never saw it. Just couldn't bring myself to getting a polished bird. They look great, but do require lots of elbow grease. And I do drool whenever I see one.

Sounds like the bird is well equiped and well taken care of. Two things I recall were that it had a great heater and excellent night lights (nulites I recall). Jim had recently done an OH so it's not got too much time on it.

Good luck. If I can help in any way, let me know.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005