"A" Model vs "B" model air speed

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dodd

"A" Model vs "B" model air speed

Post by dodd »

Hello,

I am beginning to shop for a 170.
I found some stats on air speed.

Why is the A-model rated at 106kts,
and the B-Model at 114 knots???

Also, the service ceiling was higher on the A-model??

What did the company do to change the speed??

Is there something different about the wing??

Dennis Dodd
AXS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I don't know what "source" at which you found that data. The A and B models have equal cruise speeds, about 120 mph under standard conditons. (105 kts.) Their maximum placarded speeds are also the same.
The significant performance difference between the two models regards field-length performance, which is slightly better both takeoff and landing, for the B model due to it's larger, slotted, Fowler style flaps. The A model wing does have a -1 degree of wing "washout" while the B has - 3 degrees. The B model wings are also set with almost 3 degrees positive dihedral.
You might notice the History of the 170 in this section of the Forums to read about other model differences.
http://www.cessna170.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=228
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
dodd

Post by dodd »

Thanks for the help.
My source is the TradeA:Plane web site.
They have a "performance database" for many aircraft.
They posted a difference between the A and B model.

Dennis Dodd
AXS
4stripes

170A 170B 170

Post by 4stripes »

They are both great airplanes. Don't discount the straight 170. The B models are usually more expensive due to their newer flap design (more desirable for those needing maximum performance, ie. floats and ski's). I just love mine in the circuit, as it practically does a "stuka" approach with full flaps (great for getting over steep obstacles like terrain). You will never get "caught high" on final. The A model will fit the budget for many cost conscious pilots who need 4 seats. The original 170 is a great 4 seater with lots of class and performance, but the fabric wing will need extra expense for recovering over time. Not a big deal if properly hangared and maintained.
To keep costs down, find any one that has been regularly flown, hangared, and properly maintained. It takes deep pockets, and lots of time to set things straight.