THANKS! (for this website's help)

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Paul-WI

THANKS! (for this website's help)

Post by Paul-WI »

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:32 am Post subject: Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to post a quick thanks to those who developed this website and organization. When I purchased my 170 last fall, the seller recommended that I join. The information on this website MORE than pays for the annual membership dues. I hope that as time passes on and as I gain experience I can also share. The reason for this post was that last night I finally got my tail wheel endorsement. Between breakdowns and weather, it just seemed to take forever. The hardest problem I was having is doing wheel landings, but after reading the posts on 2 wheel vs 3 point landings, I realized I was carrying waaay to much air speed on final and not getting it slow enough (and I discovered that each bounce in the runway does not count as a landing ). Anyway, thanks everyone - MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

By the way, how do I convert a picture into an avatar? I tried but no luck.

Thanks again,

Paul
N3458D
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Congratulations Paul!

My first tailwheel sign-off was in a J-3 in 1980, before there was a tailwheel endorsement as such, but I still remember how good it felt. I didn't learn a whole lot from the instructor, as it seemed he was just there to keep me from tearing up the airplane until I figured it out on my own. I didn't even know about wheel landings until after my first (and so far only) groundloop (no damage) :oops: .

Two years and 75 hours of Cub time later, it only took 3 takeoffs and landings with an instructor in my new-to-me 170B. The 170 seemed easy compared to the Cub because I could actually see what I was doing, even in the flare. Unfortunately it was 9 or 10 years later before I ran across an instructor that was able to pass on the technique of getting that spring gear to stick on a wheel landing. Fortunately, I did no damage in the meantime. :wink:

As far as making an avatar, there probably is an easier way but this is how I did it: Open the picture of choice in Paint (available on the vast majority of PC's in the Accessories folder). Under the Image menu, select Attributes... which will tell you the image size in pixels. Calculate 80 divided by the largest of the two numbers to figure how much to shrink the picture. Then under the Image menu select Stretch/Skew, and enter the percentage. Save the smaller image somewhere on your hard drive. Then, while logged in to the forums, open your profile and click Browse at the bottom of the page and select the smaller version of your picture.

Hope this helps, and congratulations again!

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Paul-WI

Post by Paul-WI »

Thanks Miles! I knew it would take a rocket scientist to figure out the avatar thing. :D

Paul
N3458D
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

Paul-WI wrote:Thanks Miles! I knew it would take a rocket scientist to figure out the avatar thing. :D

Paul
N3458D
Good one Paul :D :D :D
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"