O K I have another question for you guys

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

shortfielder

O K I have another question for you guys

Post by shortfielder »

I had a fellow contact me with a 170B with the Franlin 220hp engine. What are your thoughts on this combination and this engine. I had heard that most people liked the engines but parts were hard to get. Then I thought I read in here one time that parts were available in the US. What are your thoughts? Thanks Gary
trake

Post by trake »

My first thought is its got to be nose heavy, especially if its got a CS prop, check the weight and balance. Youre looking at 11 gph, pretty thirsty for standard tanks. Too many unknowns for me, Id pass
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D
mit

Post by mit »

I don't likem but that don't mean squat! :wink:
Tim
shortfielder

Post by shortfielder »

Hi Tracy And thanks. They have moved the battery to the back of the plane. The empty weight was around 1450#. Gary
shortfielder

Post by shortfielder »

Hi Tim and thanks. I'm curius what you don't like about them. Gary
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Do a search here as it has been discussed before. Thems that have em love em. The problem now is they are out of production and the parts availability is uncertain.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
mit

Post by mit »

shortfielder wrote:Hi Tim and thanks. I'm curius what you don't like about them. Gary

I don't like working on them. I haven't worked on the 220. I would much rather work on a lyc or cont.
Tim
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I think the Franklin has some good features. There's a inspection cover on the top of the crankcase for a peek-a-boo view of the lower end. The cylinders have steel liners that can be replaced. They get 220 horsepower out of only 350 cubic inches, that's about the best power-to-displacement ratio of any flat GA engine. Trouble is, they use high compression pistons to develope that horsepower so it's a 100LL show only-no car gas. So no car gas savings. TBO is a bit low as I recall- 1500 hours, or maybe it was 1200.
So there's good and bad points,just like anything else. Gary, are you looking for a shortfield machine? If the price is right, it'd be hard to beat. Go for it!

Eric
punkin170b

Post by punkin170b »

TBO is 1500 hours, but a new replacement costs $10/hour (15K)... at least it was supposed to back when PZL was building them. That was alot less than a new Continental or Lycoming, at the time. Rumors abound regarding a buyer of the Franklin recip line from Pratt & Whitney, but they are only rumors. I am keeping my fingers crossed...

Matt
"Rule books are paper. They will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal." (E.K. Gann)