A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

A friend of mine just bought a disassembled '56 172 less engine. Apparently someone was going to do the 171 conversion and never got around to it. It came with a set of 170 gear legs and a tailwheel attach brackett off from a 170.

Anyone here ever done this conversion or know anything about it? Is there a kit that contains neccesary parts, instructions and STC? Any info or contacts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe N4518C
Indopilot

Post by Indopilot »

We did a tailwheel conversion on our 56 172 back in 1883. Even took a picture with all six wheels installed just for grins. However we used the Bolan STC which comes with beef up bulkheads for the mian gear bulkheads as well as doublers to rivet to the tailcone that you use to make the tailwheel attach points. The doublers we installed actually cover up the original 170 gear saddle mount holes that are already there in the original bulkheads. I have seen a early 182 converted to tailwheel using the original saddle holes and have heard of people doing it with the early 172 but have not seen one. I would probably start with a 170 and 172 parts book comparison to establish which gear bulkhead parts are identical between the two and which if any you will need to add. You will need that info anyway to convince your local Fisdo that it is possible. Try to talk to an older inspector, Preferably one who has worked in his own shop and would be willing to field approve your project just before he retires. 8) hope it helps some sounds like a fun project. Brian
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Joe, unless you guys have a good contact with a local FSDO or GADO or whoever does field approvals now, you might be ahead of the game to try to buy an STC- then it's just a logbook entry and 337 signoff by an IA.
You might try looking up who owns the Bolen and other t/w STC's. From what I've heard, though, don't even bother trying to contact Bob Williams of Bush Conversions in Kansas. :x
Maybe Indopilot or 170C can send you photocopies of their paperwork and you can fake your way thru it.
I haven't seen you in quite a while, how's the aerial-photo business (and the rest of the world) treating you these days?

Eric
15A

Post by 15A »

Joe,

I was in process of collecting parts for a '56 172 conversion when I came across a '56 already converted with a Bolins gear by Bolins company back in 1980! Bought it and couldn't be happier! Parked my little 120 and totally enjoy flying this tail dragger.
Bolins made their own gear legs. Alot different than the 170's and Bird Dogs. The tail spring is heavier also. The Bolins package is worth looking into.
Never flown a 170, but it can't be too much differrent than what I have. I'm up here in the North East part of the country. If you're ever up this way, I'd be more than happy to take you up in it so you could see/feel for yourself!
Fly safe!

Joe
Joe Craig
'56 C172 Taildragger N6915A
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Joe,

Where are you based? I've got my 170 at Mansfield. Let's hook up for lunch or coffee or whatever, sometime! I'd love to see the 172TW.
Doug
15A

Post by 15A »

Hello Doug,

I'm based at Taunton. Just bought a hangar so now it's finally inside. My cousin Jim keeps his 185 at Mansfield.
My wife and I fly with the Sunday breakfast club at Mike DuPonts' American Aero. Always looking for more planes! We have a blast going to the Vineyard, Nantucket, Chatam, P-town... Lots of fun with good people!
Join us! 8:00 at Mikes'. I'm out of town this week end. But I'll be there next Sunday!

Joe
Joe Craig
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Thanks for the info guys. So far the Fravel (sp)? STC for $500 sounds like the best way to go and the easiest. Things are going fine Eric, Next time I'm up your way I'll try to hook up. I was up in Anacortes last week but racing weather to get back.

Joe
squaretail

Post by squaretail »

Thats the one you want. While you are at it replace the belly skin.This way you can pull the old gear boxes and foward bulk and replace skin with a new .032 and have no patches. I can send you a photo of the outcome.Looks and works Great.All cessna stuff up front. This way you can alway replace.The problem with other Stc's is getting a part if you need it and the angle of attack is funky.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Joe, I'd say $500 for an STC is a bargain, Is that just for the paperwork? Where can you buy it? I'm always having people ask me about tailwheel conversions for 172's 175's and 182's.

Eric
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

15A wrote:Hello Doug,

I'm based at Taunton. Just bought a hangar so now it's finally inside. My cousin Jim keeps his 185 at Mansfield.
My wife and I fly with the Sunday breakfast club at Mike DuPonts' American Aero. Always looking for more planes! We have a blast going to the Vineyard, Nantucket, Chatam, P-town... Lots of fun with good people!
Join us! 8:00 at Mikes'. I'm out of town this week end. But I'll be there next Sunday!

Joe
Joe,

Sounds great. I know Jim casually... he's seen my 170. I sent you an email. Small world. Look forward to seeing you.
Doug
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

zero.one.victor wrote:Joe, I'd say $500 for an STC is a bargain, Is that just for the paperwork? Where can you buy it? I'm always having people ask me about tailwheel conversions for 172's 175's and 182's.

Eric
Eric,

The guy's name is Ron Fravel Jr. and it is just the paper work. He can be reached at 812-737-2867. Sounds like the best way to go that I've ran across so far.
15A

Post by 15A »

Here's a link to a guy who has done this. http://www.taildraggers.com/default.aspx?niteflyr

His name is Alan Quackenbush and he has a web page about his conversion. It's a Fravel conversion. I had emailed him when I was considering converting, and he came right back with good info!
Joe Craig
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
53B

Post by 53B »

Hello all,

I was reluctant to join this association since my airplane (1958 172) still has the wheels in the wrong place, however, I see now that I should be able to get plenty of good help to solve that problem.

I have already bought the Fravel STC and most of the small parts to complete the conversion. I could use some help on how to manufacture the tailwheel brackets to fit the curvature of the fuselage. If anyone has experience with this, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Mark
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Hello Mark,

The 172 TW conversion has been discussed before and I'm sure you'll find some folks here knowledgeable on the subject.

Great to have you aboard!
Doug