What is involved in registering a Canadian plane in the US

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

shortfielder

What is involved in registering a Canadian plane in the US

Post by shortfielder »

Good evening I have talking with a fellow in B.C. with a nice looking 170B. I am still waiting to hear more about it. But while I was waiting I thought I would see if anyone had any experience buying a Canadian plane and then getting it regisered in the US. Wondered if it was more trouble that it was worth. Probably harder since 9/11? Thanks Gary
buchanan

Post by buchanan »

I bought a Cessna 180 in Calgary about 15 years ago. I flew it to the airport in Montana where our IA had his shop. He did an annual inspection and re-painted the C numbers to N numbers and we were good to go. I can't remember what the C numbers were but we chose N180KK as it was a K model 180. Ironically, when I sold it {never should have done that} the buyer was from Fort St John BC, so it now has C numbers again. The tail may be getting heavy due to number/letter painting. We live in AK most of the time now and are still friends with the fellow and his wife in Ft St John and we are planning to visit them when we drive back to AK in a couple weeks.

Best............Buck
jrenwick

Re: What is involved in registering a Canadian plane in the

Post by jrenwick »

shortfielder wrote:Good evening I have talking with a fellow in B.C. with a nice looking 170B. I am still waiting to hear more about it. But while I was waiting I thought I would see if anyone had any experience buying a Canadian plane and then getting it regisered in the US. Wondered if it was more trouble that it was worth. Probably harder since 9/11? Thanks Gary
I was close to buying a Canadian 170 once, so I checked this all out. The AOPA has the lowdown in its members-only section, http://www.aopa.org/members/files/guides/impexp.html . The bottom line is that the easiest way to do this, by far, is to get the Canadian owner to fly the aircraft to the US to complete the sale. See the AOPA web site for the details, because it's complicated.

Best Regards,

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Indopilot

Post by Indopilot »

You will need to have a conformity inspection done by a DAR or the FAA probably in conjunction with the Annual inspection. This is a close inspection of the A/C paperwork,condition and placards to assure that the A/C is as it came out of the factory ,OR in its PROPERLY altered condition. The Equipment list and Weight and Balance are up to date and accurately reflect the A/C. Any mods are accompanied by the legal STC ,337 etc. Any repairs are documented. THe fuzzy dice in the windshield have a field approval :lol: It shouldn't be a problem with a 170 but there are some A/C that CANNOT be imported even if they were built hereunless you want to hang them over a resturant.
Once you document EVERYthing to the DAR or FAA's satisfaction then they will issue your Standard Airworthiness Certificate and you are good to go. Don't forget the DOT's little tag of A/C info on the aft fuselage that keeps everyone from drug smuggling :roll: Brian
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel