cold weather oil temp's

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

3958v

Post by 3958v »

I sure wish we could still get the winterization plates for the 3 slot grills on the older 170s. I use duct tape presently placed as close to the original plate position as possible and yesterday on a hr flight in 20 deg temps the oil temps were 180 deg which I feel is perfect. But I must say I had no heat. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Bill next time try my method with the "technically" illegal duct tape. Maybe you'll get more heat but I'm sure it won't be stellar.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Bruce & Bill,
Is it possible while using technically illegal duct tape to incorporate a scoop to the frash air intake for the heat muff to increase the airflow? I know that you cannot do what I have done, that is with the engine change I rerouted the cowling air intake for the Carburator heat box to the heat muff, increasing the air flow has made a big difference in cabin temperature. Which is the emoticon for Brrrrr?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

3958v wrote:I sure wish we could still get the winterization plates for the 3 slot grills on the older 170s. I use duct tape presently placed as close to the original plate position as possible and yesterday on a hr flight in 20 deg temps the oil temps were 180 deg which I feel is perfect. But I must say I had no heat. Bill K
I have a set of the winterization plates *** I'd be happy to take some photos, provide measurements, etc. if you want.
Doug
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

I have a set of the winterization plates (another Ebay score, thank you... :twisted: ). I'd be happy to take some photos, provide measurements, etc. if you want.
Doug,
Corey provided them on the 2nd page of this thread: http://www.cessna170.org/phpBB2/viewtop ... c&start=15
Last edited by CraigH on Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Yes he did, but those are for the later model cowl and won't work on the '48-'52 cowls which I believe is what 3958v is looking for.
Doug
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Doug That would be fantastic. I sure would like to make a set that were easy to slip on and off. I am sure some others would like the same info. Maybe it could be placed in the 170 News as a short article. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

ok, maybe next week after the holiday dust settles...
Doug
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Temperature control within the engine compartment is properly done by controlling the exit air. Closing of the exit raises the pressure within the cowling which aids in increasing the temperature. (Basic physics) Restricting inlet air often will create hot spots that can be detrimental to engine life. Without extensive instrumentation and testing there is no way to really know what is taking place. Notice that factory designed systems for engine temperature control, with very few exceptions, do so by the use of cowl flaps or exit air control rather than constricting the air inlets. Even oil coolers equipped with air flow controls normally control exit air rather than inlet air. On liquid cooled engines, as for example on the P-51 Mustang, the air flow through the coolant radiator is controlled by the exit door behind the radiator and on the aircrafts belly.
BL
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

Guess we should inform Cessna they screwed up when they made their winterization plates.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

zero.one.victor wrote:
gahorn wrote: .............................
...I don't thnk that's the reason some airplanes don't have a CHT.
The reasons most airplanes don't have a CHT is because they don't have cowl flaps. There's no method available for the pilot to regulate the airflow. .........................................
I think the reason more airplanes (like the 170) don't have CHT gauges is cuz the factroy saved money that way. True, I don't have cowl flaps to regulate CHT, I also don't have a means to regulate oil temps-- but an oil temp gauge is still installed, and is mandatory per the FAR's. I've seen airplanes that had MP gauges, even though they had fixed-pitch props. Just cuz you can't control it doesn't mean you may not want to monitor it.
And actually, yes you can regulate CHT even with no cowl flaps. Just the same way you regulate oil temps- when they're too hot, put the nose down and/or pull the power back and/or richen the mixture.
I knew this agrrrrreement business was too good to be true, George!

Eric
Perhaps I should avoid making certain presumptions when I post. The presumption I made in the previous post was, that we'd all accept that the factory wouldn't include anything that costs extra as a standard item unless the FAR's required it. Aircraft that do not have cowl flaps (to regulate airflow and therefore CHT's) are not required to have CHT gauges. Aircraft that DO have cowl flaps, are REQUIRED to have CHT gauges, per the FAR's. That was my point. It didn't occur to me that folks would want to disagree with what was so obvious to all....that Cessna, and most other mfr's, would not include a CHT as standard on a non-cowl-flap equipped airplane. The other presumption I made was that folks would know we were talking about mechanical methods to regulate airflow. How silly of me.
I'll try to no longer presume we aren't simply looking for a way to disagree. :roll:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

I have a home made set on mine, takes about five min a side to install. Simple to make, I'll take a photo next time I head to the aerodrome. My oilt temps run about 180 with a oat of 15-20F
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
bodine

cold air

Post by bodine »

Hi hope all of you are had a good christmas. just incase anybody is still looking at this post i made some alum. covers that block about 1/2 of the grill on the 52 and did not block the blast tubes and now im getting about 190 on the oil and a cht of 200-225 on a 20 deg. day and the oil comes up in about 15-20 min. after take off im happy with that. thanks for all your tip's...........