Verification of Registration requirement-

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rudymantel

Verification of Registration requirement-

Post by rudymantel »

The current EAA E-Hotline advises that aircraft owners have until Feb 1 '06 to verify that the registration information is current and correct.
Otherwise the airplane may be denied access to the NAS (National Airspace System).

Below is a link to check on your airplane.

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificate ... t_inquiry/

Is any other action required by the aircraft owner ?
How will the Feds know which airplane to keep out of the sky ?
Is anyone familiar with this requirement? This is the first I've heard of it.

BTW, I feel great. It's now 8 weeks since my surgery. I flew my plane Monday (with a licensed friend in the right seat). Boy it felt good !
It's ridiculous that I'm grounded when my heart, with its new plumbing, is in much better shape than it was when I was legal to fly !
Regards to you all,
Rudy
C-170B N4490B
Plantation Florida
(Based at North Perry Airport,
KHWO, Miramar FL)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

RUDY! WHOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!!! GLAD to see you're up and awaaaayyy.....!
Reconsider. Keep the 170! You're gonna need it to get to Galveston next year! :lol: gh
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Great news on your health Rudy. Don't jump too soon to sell the plane.

From looking at the website link you gave I sent them an email to have the information changed on mine to the Lycoming as they still had the Cont.

Another look is at
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/defimgUN.asp
where I searched for 170B's and they have 109 of them listed with incorrect addresses. Most are probably scrapped long ago.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Indopilot

Post by Indopilot »

Hi Rudy,

Just read your post. Earlier this morning I printed off a little blurb from ePilot@aopa.org for a local friend who just had a pacemaker installed. The blub title was "Heart Patients to get faster reissuance for Medicals" Basiclly saying AME's will be permitted to reissue third class medicals to pilots with by-pass, Stents, Angioplasts etc. Early in 2006 you can take your medical documentation to your AME and have the medical reissued according to Gary Crump AOPA director of medical certification. Read about it on AOPA Online. :D
Incase you haven't heard about this. Brian
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Glad you're doing well, Rudy, I hope you're re-medicalized soon.
I also read the item in the EAA e-newslatter about verifying registration info. I have to assume that there will be a mailing from the feds about this, if action is required on my part. They don't mind mailing me notices about AD's on autopilots,inflatable door seals,Franklin engines, etc which I MAY (but don't) have on my 170, I would hope they consider a possible banning from the national airspace system just as important!

Eric
HA

Post by HA »

I got a call from a fella with the FAA concerned about my plane's registry - turns out my inlaws started to change the registration to remove my brother-in-law from it, but he never completed the process. Then they later reported the new (as they saw it) owners on a Triennial Report card. Which led the FAA to list it as "sale reported", and it stayed like that for years.

So I completed the "sale" by actually having them all fill out a bill of sale and registration change form, and now we are legal and terrorist free again in the eyes of the FAA.

so somebody in an office somewhere is checking up on this stuff, although how this helps US security much is beyond me. seems more aimed at getting the forms filled out than any security function.
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I smell a rat. I suspect the real reason for "legitimatizing" the registry...is necessary as a precursor to denying access to the national airspace system to anyone who doesn't pay upcoming "user fees".
(Someone, somewhere, has friends in high places that have found a way to get between the taxpayer and his dollar thru new regulation. It's called "privatization" of the airspace system.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

gahorn wrote:I smell a rat. I suspect the real reason for "legitimatizing" the registry...is necessary as a precursor to denying access to the national airspace system to anyone who doesn't pay upcoming "user fees".
(Someone, somewhere, has friends in high places that have found a way to get between the taxpayer and his dollar thru new regulation. It's called "privatization" of the airspace system.)
This seems very likely. If search for your aircraft in the link above you will see that they have also assigned you your "Mode S Code", which means at somepoint we'll be looking at having to get new transponders which identify WHO we are as well as altitude and where we are.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

Mmmmmmm..... interesting theory. I first noticed my plane had been assigned an Mode S code quite a while ago. At least 6 or 7 years ago if I remember correctly. Not sure when it all started.
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

N2865C wrote:Mmmmmmm..... interesting theory. I first noticed my plane had been assigned an Mode S code quite a while ago. At least 6 or 7 years ago if I remember correctly. Not sure when it all started.
That is probably true. They have been delaying the mode S requirement for some time, but I think they still at some point plan to require it. I think a lot of screaming and yelling by the alphabet groups about the cost of upgrading has kept it at bay.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
jrenwick

Mode S

Post by jrenwick »

Remember back in the late 1970s, when the FAA tried to bring a huge amount of airspace under positive control by creating TCAs everywhere? Part of that original proposal, if I remember correctly, was a schedule for requiring all aircraft to carry Mode S transponders. Mode S does a lot of things that Mode C can't, and one of them is to emit a code that lets ATC know exactly what aircraft is responding. They can see your N number, basically, even if you're not on a flight plan or talking to them. That's what the code in the registration database means. This is pretty simple, and doesn't need any kind of a conspiracy theory to justify it.

I'm not trying to say there aren't any conspiracies -- just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Although Mode S would be very useful in the imposition of user fees, it isn't necessary. European countries have been billing pilots for ATC services for a long time. There are certain ATC jurisdictions where you might receive a bill just because you talked to them -- you don't even have to enter their airspace. Anyone who has flown an N-numbered aircraft in Canada knows you'll get a bill for Canadian ATC services if you fly there.

When we became pilots, we learned that the FAA requires aircraft owners to keep their registration information up to date. It shouldn't surprise anybody that enforcement of that has been lax in the past, or that they've decided to fix their problems. No conspiracy required -- which is not the same as saying there is no conspiracy, I hasten to add. :?

Best Regards,

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Very nice word smithing John :D
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com