Round tail on 172?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Philip

Round tail on 172?

Post by Philip »

Can a 170 tail be fitted to a straight-tail 172 fuselage? And get an approval?

What are the differences in handling between a late 170B and straight-tail 172 tailwheel?

Thanks...
Philip
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I doubt that it'd be cost effective at all, but I wouldn't want to say it couldn't be done. The square tail feathers would probably be more effective than the round ones. (More surface area, placed farther out on the stabilizers.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
squaretail

Post by squaretail »

I have both a roundtail and a squaretail. one is a b and the other is a so called c.The entire rear tailcone bulkhead is different.I have extras laying side by side in the barn and have wondered this myself. You can make the b model tail cone fit on a c model fuslage. Paper work would be the issue.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Of course, just to be accurate, ...there is no "C" model. Cessna made only one prototype and converted it back to round feathers before it was sold. While it was intended to be called a "C" if it had seen production...in fact it never did.
In 1956 they produced the first 172 (with square tail) , and the last 170B.
So technically, a " c model fuslage" does not exist, and therefore it cannot have different rear bulkhead. (But I understand what you mean. I think.) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
squaretail

Post by squaretail »

Yes It is a 56 172 I called the so called c model done with the right conversion to be like the one cessna did that year.
Philip

Post by Philip »

Thanks!

If the straight tail is more effective than the round one, looks will be passed in favour of function...
Philip