Intro, Question -- 170 vs. Pacer

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I realize that aeroplanes are individuals with personalities and different characters, and each has one's own strength's/weaknesses, just like ourselves. Steel-tube-and-fabric, or wooden airplanes are neat in any flavor.
My own experience has led me to a general philosophy regarding the most common mfr's products made since the war (the real war in the late '30's-mid-40's), which can be summed up by a preference for: Single Cessna's, Twin Piper's, and anything Beech (unless it starts with the letter "D" such as Duchess or Duke or D-18.) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I have some time flying in (and somewhat more time flying next to) a friend's 1957 PA22/20-150. The previous 2 owners are also friends, including the guy who converted it to tailwheel. This Pacer is:
1) squirrellier than a 170 on the ground--not. Probably the opposite.
2) faster than my 170 (10 mph or so), steeper climbing.
3) Probably a bit shorter takeoff (at least light), a bit longer landing.
4) harder to get in & out of.
5) not nearly as good visibility.
6) a bit tighter inside for people. Much smaller baggage area. The shortwingers I know pull the rear seats & operate their airplanes as 2 place with big baggage bay. Rear (pax) door works real well as baggage door.
7) Lycoming powered versus Continental -- good or bad?
Pacers have their own quirks, with regards to both flying & maintaining them. Not necesarily better or worse than 170's. They do have a good, active type club.They are more affordable.They do give you a lot for your money- maybe more than the 170. I've thought about selling my 170 & buying a Pacer, more than once, but never followed thru.
Bottom line-- you can't go wrong with buying either one-- or both!

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Cessna will still support a 170 (even if the support is pricey.) Piper won't even talk to you about an old fabric airplane of theirs. They won't even talk to you about a lot of the all metal ones they made in the 60's and 70's.
(Just an undisguised plug for my favorite brand. A couple of parts in an all-metal airplane can be a challenge, such as a tailwheel bracket. But the same can be said of certain cowling parts of both types. It's a good thing so many were made as to make the parts still available.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Mike

Pacer on floats

Post by Mike »

I agree with the previous postings until you put the 170B and a pacer on floats (150hp). The pacer will carry more get off faster and out climb and cruise the 170. I have owned both and sold the Pacer because I have a 220hp Franklin on my C-170 that takes care of that situation! I am not into paper airplanes for reasons already discussed. Spend the extra money for the cessna,you'll be happier.
Mike