Great Fly-in Locations ???

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

AR Dave wrote: I'd like to see a Johnson Creek Fly-in on the scale of Petit Jean, Fri - Sun, with 40+, 170's, flying in from all over the west, taking pictures for the 2007 Calendar.
Attaboy Dave! :D
Doug
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

1. Wapiti Meadows Lodge----Super,Super Hi Dollar!!!
Barry Bryant flys his 206 off of 3U2 (Johnson Creek)
2. There are some accomodations in Yellowpine, 5 mi. away.
3. The airport can accomodate over 100 airsraft at one time.
(e.g.--C-180/185 fly-in in conjunction with the Yellowpine Harmonica Fest the first week end in August.)
4. When the campground is full, they camp under the wing on both sides of the runway.
5. Labor day is the end. After that the showers and water system are shut down. Pit toilets are open only.
6. Greatest Fly In Camping Only campground in America!
BL
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

For some reason I was off on my cooridinates. 44 24.6N, 116 35.6W, is a members strip 65 miles away. 44 54 43N, 115 29.08W, is Johnson Creek. I was able to zoom right down on the 3400' long strip, could see several planes, and traveled up the valley to Yellowpine. Noticed one of the streets was named Ellison Ave. Is that Grandpa, N1227D?
Just saw the write up in, Oct AOPA, about Landing on these Idaho strips.

Would Memorial Day weekend be a bad time for a fly-in?

Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Ya know AR (can I call you AR :wink:), I just took a look at Johnson Creek on the Google map to see what al the fuss is about.

I've got to tell you, you need to be looking a few thousand miles east of that local if you want to put on another weekend fly-in. :D

Oh I know, you just like to push the envelope on my weekend fly-in destinations. Thanks. 8)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
N1277D

Re: Johnson Creek Fly-in

Post by N1277D »

Just a few random comments about Johnson Creek.

Gene, the Johnson Creek caretaker left this year on the 24th of September. I spoke to him about the 170 fly-in and they would welcome one.

The Idaho 170 reps have had 170 fly-ins there in the past. If the weather cooperates one could also use the airport as a base to flyin to some of the other Idaho backcountry strips. Myself or bluedr could help with some of the strips that the 170 can safely go into.

Yes in Yellowpine there is a street with the same last name as the owner of 1277d, it is pure coincidence even though our phone company has a building on that same street and there are a few creeks in the region with same name. We suspect that is was named after one of the early settlers or one of the people fleeing the south not wanting to fight in the civil war.

The rates at Wapati are reasonable about the same as a hotel in Phoenix or other large city and include some of the best food that you can get in the backcountry.
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Ken Morrow returned my email and also called. He was real interested in what we had to say about the fly-ins. He's not much for computers, so I'll post some of his letter. And send him this Link. He also mentioned flying into the other airstrips. He's going to talk some more with the state aeronautics dept, about available dates.

Sooner or Later, the questions will have to be asked - Are there enough people interested to pursue this?
THERE ARE CAMP SITES, SHOWERS,TOILETS & A CARE TAKER. IT WOULD BE A CAMP OUT TYPE OF EVENT BRING YOUR OWN FOOD BS AIRPLANE TALK, KICK TIRES & CREATE YOUR OWN SOCIAL ACTIVITY. THE TOWN OF YELLOWPINE IS 4 MILES FROM THE AIRPORT. THERE ARE A FEW CABINS, CAFÉ & BAR. THE AIRPORT USUALLY HAS A CRTSY. CAR (STATE OWNED) TILL MID SEPT. THERE IS A FEE FOR THE CAR. I WOULDN'T WANT TO HAVE A FLY IN, IN THERE AFTER MID SEPT. THE WEATHER STARTS TO CHANGE. THE C-180 PEOPLE USUALLY HAS AN EVENT IN AUGUST SOME TIMES WITH AS MANY AS 90 AIRCRAFT. USUALLY THE RENO AIR RACES ARE THAT WEEK ALSO SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT. IF A BIG EVENT IS PLANNED WE WOULD HAVE TO MAKE RESERVATIONS WITH THE IDAHO STATE AERONAUTICS DEPT. MR. MARK YOUNG AHEAD OF TIME. STANDARD C-170 WITH 2 PEOPLE & MODERATE LOAD CAN OPERATED OK OUT OF THERE. THERE IS A BIG BOWL OVER YELLOWPINE TO CIRCLE IF YOU NEED TO CLIMB OUT. YOU LAND UP STREAM & T.O DOWN STREAM.

KEN MORROW
IDAHO C-170 STATE REP. #3219