Original 170 Parts Catalogs

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

AR Dave

Original 170 Parts Catalogs

Post by AR Dave »

You might remember last year a friend of my friend died and we opened a 45 ft trailer, that had been closed for 40 yrs, and found a time capsul. His widow needs to sell things like the 5 parts catalogs that I have here on my desk!

2 Model 170A Parts Catalogs, $4.00, April 1950
2 Model 170B Parts Catalogs, $6.00 & $3.00, Sept 1956
1 Model 170 Series Parts Catalog, $4.00, (this has the color chart listings for all exterior, interior, interior trim, and upholstery colors used on Cessna 170's).

btw - in one of the 170A books is two folded up drawings?
(CAA STC SA-4-676 12-10-58) Drawing 1-58 - it reads "BIRDDOG" RDF-2 installation for Cessna 170 & 180 Series and the other is RDF-2 wiring hook up. Does that go with this book?

Any suggestions on what to do with these books and what they are worth would be appreciated.
ghostrider

Parts Catalogs

Post by ghostrider »

I personally don't have a need for the two books on the B model since I have an A model, but I would pay $40.00 for the others that were listed if still available.
Richard Hall
Ghostrider Aviation
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Edited to help the elderly :lol:
Thanks ghostrider - Out of the 5 Catalogs, I am going to buy one of the B-catalogs for myself, when I figure out what they're worth.
They are pretty neat looking books to me! Seems only people interested in originality will be interested in these. I've written your name and the other PM down in my handy book as first priority. George has an ideal (a BRILLIANT ideal as George so often does :lol: - that's razzing you George :P ) that we're waiting to hear back on.
Last edited by AR Dave on Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

AR Dave wrote:I'm definitely keeping one of the B-model catalogs for myself, but I'll have to buy it of course. ... George has come up with another ideal that I need to wait and see about. Allthough I can see that his party wants my party to foot the bill as usual. :roll:
To all: After seeing the manuals which Dave brought to Reklaw, I called TIC170A Historian Cleo Bickford and suggested to him that since Dave's friend wanted to sell the manuals, that perhaps TIC170A should purchase them at a fair price and reproduce them EXACTLY, and consider offering reproductions to the membership at a fair price. I felt that 1) since many members would like to have such a manual and 2) since original manuals are no longer available, but only poor copies are what are typically offered... or copies on CD... that, 3) not only would it be in the purview of our Association's By-Laws and Constitution to "preserve" and "promote" the 170, and that the ownership and preservation of original manuals be within that stated purpose, ...but that also many members might wish to own an excellent reproduction of such original documentation. Cleo assured me he also thought that was a good idea and that he would look into it after visiting with the governing Board. It was only after Cleo's and my conversation, that I PM'd Dave with that idea.
Last edited by GAHorn on Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

"To all: After seeing the manuals which Dave brought to Reklaw, I called TIC170A Historian Cleo Bickford and suggested to him that since Dave's friend wanted to sell the manuals, that perhaps TIC170A should purchase them at a fair price and reproduce them EXACTLY, and consider offering reproductions to the membership at a fair price. I felt that 1) since many members would like to have such a manual and 2) since original manuals are no longer available, but only poor copies are what are typically offered... or copies on CD... that, 3) not only would it be in the purview of our Association's By-Laws and Constitution to "preserve" and "promote" the 170, and that the ownership and preservation of original manuals be within that stated purpose, ..."

Excellent thought process George. Count me in for one of the reproduction B model manuals.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
ghostrider

Original Parts Manuals

Post by ghostrider »

I personally have no objection to the proposed solution. I would still gladly pay to get a copy however we resolve this.
Richard Hall
Ghostrider Aviation
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Edited for help the elderly
Thanks ghostrider - Out of the 5 Catalogs, I am going to buy one of the B-catalogs for myself, when I figure out what they're worth.
They are pretty neat looking books to me! Seems only people interested in originality will be interested in these. I've written your name and the other PM down in my handy book as first priority. George has an ideal (a BRILLIANT ideal as George so often does - that's razzing you George ) that we're waiting to hear back on.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Dave and George I think this is and excellent idea. I have hoped to email Dave with this very suggestion but he had left for Reklaw before I could get to it. If this is truly documentation the association doesn't have or in better condition than our current documentation, then the association should make every reasonable effort to obtain it.

Unfortunately if this documentation is truly pristine and deserving of quality reproduction, I don't know if we, the association members, will want to foot the bill for such a reproduction. In that regard while I know ARDave's "foot the bill" comment was in jest, liek many projects taken on for the benefit of the association, it may be true.

But we are getting way ahead of ourselves here.

BTW from time to time really nice original examples of the IPCs go up for sale ***. I've bought one for the A model and one for the B model in the last 4 years and payed just under $50 for each
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com