Takeoff Techniques

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Robert Eilers

Takeoff Techniques

Post by Robert Eilers »

I have owned my 170 for several months now. I really enjoy the aircraft and am till working on flying it well. I am interested in opinions from exeprienced 170 owners regarding takeoff techniques, i.e., tail low or lifted tail. I have experimented with both. I find that when I lift the tail the airplane gets squirrely as speed increases, especially if the aircraft is heavy and requires and extended t/o roll.
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

1st thought that comes to mind is to make sure the main
gear tracking is set up properly. Consult the 100 series
service manual and/or do a search on this site on aligning
the main gear axles (with shims).
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
N73087

Post by N73087 »

Trim neutral. Hold the wheel steady but neutral. When the tail comes up by itself, let it rise what seems like only an inch. Hold that attitude and the airplane will levitate.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yep. Try this next time.
During pre-flight be certain the trim is nuetral on the elevator. Get in the cockpit, pull the stick back and look back to view the elevator counterbalance "horn". Note when the position of your elevator is exactly nuetral with the stabiliser. (Your hand is about even with the doorpost probably.) Remember this position.
On takeoff, apply full power and use rudder/braking to keep it aligned of course. As the speed builds, note that the elevator slowly rises to the position you previously noted. (Or...you can simply begin your takeoff roll in that position...which is my own preference.) Shortly you will notice the tail come up off the ground. At this point the elevator is actually holding itself up/back due to relative wind. (Don't change anything yet.)
Pay close attention and (be patient for this next observation) you'll next notice the airplane almost "squats" on the main gear. (In other words, after the tail comes up of it's own accord with a resultant drop of the nose, there will be a "secondary" nose drop just barely-perceptibly as the airplane's speed builds.)
All that is necessary to complete the takeoff is to "rotate" or slightly raise the nose with gentle back-pressure on the yoke. The airplane will lift very nicely off the ground in a slightly "tail low" attitude...exactly as the Owner's Manual suggests.
Voila! (as the famous French Escadrille Sqn. Ldr. Louis "Loop" Chandelle, used to say.) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)