Oil and its usage

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Tom Downey

Oil and its usage

Post by Tom Downey »

Tom Downey A&P-IA
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Another website that discusses this subject (but not in conjunction with promoting corporate alliances) is:
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/multiple ... Id=7005253

Be sure to click on FAQ's to read the different purposes of their AD and non-AD oils.

An article which brings in the comments from representatives of Phillips, Shell, Continental, and Lycoming is:
http://www.aviationtoday.com/cgi/am/sho ... l_myth.htm

In the article, author Matt Thurber calls the traditonal use of non-AD oil for break in a "myth". He makes an excellent argument for that position.
Toward the end of the article however, the representatives from Shell, TCM, and Continental (and by reference the position of many OEM overhaulers, BP, Castrol, etc.) still support the use of non AD oil for break in of non-turbocharged engines.
There is an argument that since AD oil is OK for turbo engines, that it must also be OK for normally aspirated engines. I'm not sure that's a good assumption. I personally believe the use of AD oil in turbocharged engines is not as likely to be problematical because of higher Manifold Pressures used by default in the turbocharged engines mentioned. If higher MP's equal higher cylinder pressures, then the rings will be pushed against the cylinder walls with greater force, thereby improving ring-to-cylinder break in. Normally aspirated engines won't have that additional help. Addtionally, turbochargers themselves have higher lubrication requirements that AD oils are better suited for.
So, if I have a non turbocharged engine, and if AD oil is OK, but so is non AD mineral oil, ... and if AD oil has sometimes been seen to be the culprit on engines that did not break in properly... then that is the basis of my choice to use only non AD, straight mineral oil for break in. (To my knowlege, non AD straight mineral oil has never been blamed in a case of failure for an engine to break in properly.)

The article points out: "From Lycoming’s Service Instruction No. 1014M: "All other engines must be operated on mineral oil during the first 50 hours of operation, or until oil consumption has stabilized. If an ashless dispersant oil is used in a new engine, or a newly overhauled engine, high oil consumption might possibly be experienced. The additives in some of these ashless dispersant oils may retard the break-in of the piston rings and cylinder walls."

The final word for me was: "Teledyne Continental continues to recommend the use of mineral, non-ashless dispersant oil for break-in, according to an engine-break-in statement on TCM’s web site. "A straight-weight, non-dispersant mineral oil ...is recommended for the break-in period," the TCM statement says."

Your choice is your choice.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

I sure liked the way the Phillips XC20-50 worked on my Lycoming break in. BTW they swear it is mineral based.

Otherwise, like George, I'm still of the old school and would only use a straight mineral oil. Very good points on the turbo break in.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

Just my two cents - I've used nothing but Phillips 20w-50 XC since my overhaul three years and 350 hours ago. I like it, for one it cost only about 24.00 bucks a cases, versus 40.00 for Aeroshell. Even with an F&M filter, I still change the oil and filter about every 30 hours or four months.
Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...