Cessna Wings

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

minton

Cessna Wings

Post by minton »

Hey guys,

For years I have heard that Cessna generated a letter concerning 100 series wing interchangeability. I have never laid eyes on it. My question is does such a letter exist? If so where can I obtain a copy?? Please know that I am aware of many folks putting all kinds of this and that wing on their planes. I want something in writing to slide under the FAA's nose, not just stories.
Last edited by minton on Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

There was a discussion on that earlier, and I think someone did have a copy of that, sorry I can't be more specific. There is also a 170 based just south of me that has an early 172 wing on one side. The wings are identical except that the 170 wings have a slight upturn at the last 12" or so out at the tip, the 172 wing doesn't have that.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I have such a letter generated from Cessna which has been discussed here. It was generated from a now retired Cessna representitive.

I spoke to this gentalmman before he retired and got a newly generated copy as the one in my aircraft records was becoming un readable. He informed me at that time that the letter was intended to only be the first step in the process. After reading the letter one was to find wings that would fit the description of the letter. Then contact Cessna for a letter for those specific wings by part number and airframe.

My wings where approved on a 337 by the FAA without any further letter which surprised him.

TIC170A should have a copy but if not I can provide a PDF of it in a few days when I'm back home.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
tangopack

"Cessna Wings"

Post by tangopack »

Minton:
A couple of years ago I was looking for replacement wings for a C-172---I found a set of older model wings and asked Cessna if they could approve such a change---
The Cessna Tech Staff replied and sent a letter of explanation and the requirements for their recommendation---
This may be the letter you are looking for---Cessna cannot approve the wing "Swap" but they "can" recomenmend it---The FAA must approve it---The application for approval is made on FAA form 337 and the recommendation from Cessna is a "BIG" help---
If you are interested, I will dig out the letter and email it to you---
Please reply to the email address below---
Kay Smith---
(tangopack)
kayay@att.net