New Wings for the 170A

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dokerr

New Wings for the 170A

Post by dokerr »

I am going to upgrade my engine. Is anyone aware of a wing conversion putting a 170B,172 or 175 wing on a 170A. I am looking for a legal conversion STC or a base 337 installation. Any help? Is this worth it?
I have had this acft for 24 years and hate to part with it, within reason.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It's been done on a B model, in fact I think blu elder did it. :wink:
But the A model is a different deal re: what Bruce said about the flap system. Then there's the fuel indication system.
Why don't you just install 175 tanks in your a model wings? Much easier, I'd think.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Remember the DC-2 1/2 ? CAT in China had one, with a DC-3 wing on one side and DC-2 on the other. Think they had a field approval ?
Rudy
C-170B N4490B
Plantation Florida
(Based at North Perry Airport,
KHWO, Miramar FL)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Do your self a favor and buy a B model if you real must have bigger flaps. I wouldn't go through the trouble for the big flaps and I have them.

BTW as George said see my other post to read what all is involved.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

rudymantel wrote:Remember the DC-2 1/2 ? CAT in China had one, with a DC-3 wing on one side and DC-2 on the other. Think they had a field approval ?
Rudy
SURE! I SAW it in a FIELD!! :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Dokerr, are you wanting the dihedral & flaps of the B wing, or the additional fuel capacity of the 175 wing tanks? There are other ways to carry more fuel-- the Javelin or O&N cabin-mounted aux tank comes to mind, or else the Flint tip tanks. Don't know what to tell you about the flaps thing-- I think installing B/172/175 wings would be quite a job, both mechanically & approval-wise.

Eric
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Installing any type of Cessna wings designed after the '52 series of airplanes on an "A" model airframe would be next to impossible today. You would have to have a ton of paper plans, extensive and very expensive certification from a DER, and an awfully friendly
inspector from the FUZZ. It would also be one helluva big job.
You could certainly sell the A model and buy any other model, including a C-180, for a helluva lot less grief and probably a lot less money.
However, if you're interested in a multi year project to keep you occupied, or if you're looking for a divorce, why not have at it.
BL
jon s blocker

X-tra fuel

Post by jon s blocker »

I have seen several mentions of O&N aux tanks for in cabin tanks for a 170. As far as I have seen the O&N tank is not STCed for the 170. If it is please let me know. I already have a Javelin tank, but would really like to know if there is a replacement for it. I don't want to put out any misinformation because the O&N tank looks just like the Javelin and I'm sure is a very good system, just don't know if the STC covers our planes. Thanks, Jon
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

Jon,

Just out of curioisity, why would you want to replace your Javlin tank with a O&N tank if the Javlin is already in your plane? My plane also has the Javlin tank.

Harold
N92CP
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The O & N baggage tank, although very similar to the TCDS approved Javelin baggage tank, is not STC'd for the 170. (pity.)
jon s blocker

O&N tank

Post by jon s blocker »

Harold, I guess my wording is very misleading :oops: . I don't want to replace my Javelin tank, I love it, I was more interested in a tank that would replace the Javelin tank line, as I don't think they are made anymore. I realize the Javelin tanks come up for sale every so often, but there are those who would rather buy a new product than to buy used. That was my onlyreason for asking the question about the availability of an STC for the O&N. Sorry for the confusion. Jon