Approach plates

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jon s blocker

Approach plates

Post by jon s blocker »

What is everyone using to hold their approach plates, other than the traditional knee boards? I've been looking for a good solution to that problem. Does someone make a clamp that clamps the control yoke shaft and supports the approach plate through the center of the yoke? I have a knee board but would like something handier. Getting back into IFR and can use all the help I can get. Thanks, Jon
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

That's what the person sitting in the right seat is for. :wink: (Otherwise, I just lay in in the seat or on the floor, after I read it and memorize the important stuff.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

Never did use it, but way back when I was getting some training. The instructor suggested using a metal spring type clamp for brooms that you screw to the wall or something then fasten a spring clip for paper to the broom bracket. Snap it on the yolk shaft just forward on the yolk handle. Clip the approach plate in it and let it hang over the center of the yolk to use.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

That sounds a lot like putting all your eggs in one basket. (grin) (Just a yolk, egghead.) :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

Sporty's sells a simple and cheap holder that attaches to your yoke shaft. Here is the link.

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm ... &CATID=168

I got two in my christmas stocking last year. I print out airport diagrams from the AOPA airport direcory whenever I go into a stange field and they are perfect for these as well as approach plates.

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
jon s blocker

approach plates

Post by jon s blocker »

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll try to make one like Roesbery suggested, then if that doesn't work I can get the one from Sporty's. By the way, I use the person in the right seat for vigilence OUTSIDE the aircraft. :wink: Thanks again, Jon
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I used a small approach plate sized clipboard from the aviation section at Wal-Mart and mounted it flat on top of the yoke with velcro. Just make sure you check the yoke for full travel in all directions.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

Yolk, Yoke Youk Yok, OOO,K
auxtank

Post by auxtank »

Jon, My Trimble Flight-Mate GPS came with a yoke mount that consisted of a small aluminum plate onto which a plastic mount for the GPS was attached. The aluminum plate/plastic mount was attached to a yoke clamp with a swivil connection...so that the angle of the GPS could be adjusted.

To adapt this set up for holding approach plates, I slid the plastic mount off of the aluminum plate (it was a tight friction fit), drilled a hole in the aluminum plate, took the elastic straps off an inexpensive, light-weight knee-board, drilled a hole in the knee-board, and mounted the knee board to the aluminum plate with a short machine screw and stop-nut.

The Juneau International Airport lacks a precision approach, so I had to leave home (Juneau, AK) to finish my instument rating. My improvised approach-plate holder served well in various rental aircraft. Later, by removing the knee-board and sliding the plastic mount back on the aluminum plate, I was able to reconvert the mount to a GPS holder.

However, the Flight-Mate stopped working due to a rollover problem, and I was told it couldn't be updated. So, the mount is once again serving full-time as an approach-plate (or other documents) holder.

Ask around. You may be able to come up with a yoke mount for a broken or obsolete GPS unit that you can easily convert to an approach-plate holder

Gordon Sandy
N4002V
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Gordon,
The mention of the Tremble Flightmate reminds me of how fast the GPS navigation systems have changed.

As arcane is the Flightmate now seems not very many years ago I thought they were so great I bought two, one as a
Christmas present for my father, and after using it leading up to Christmas I had to buy one for myself.

It was useful all over the US especially in the Caribbean on the AR routes where we flew hundreds of miles with only a long range ADF at both ends to anchor the route.

A couple of years ago I gave mine to a fledgling pilot who would never be able to afford a new GPS, with it he learned the basics of GPS navigation, he has now move on to flying for a commuter airline.
8)
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

johneeb wrote:Gordon,

A couple of years ago I gave mine to a fledgling pilot who would never be able to afford a new GPS, with it he learned the basics of GPS navigation, he has now move on to flying for a commuter airline.
8)
The way airlines are going....he'll STILL never be able to afford a new GPS. :?
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

The AOPA Online Airport Directory http://www.aopa.org/members/airports/#USTProcs
is a nice resource. You can download and print the latest approach charts, STARS, airport diagrams etc.

The AOPA Real Time Flight Planner is also useful.

I think these are for AOPA members, which I guess most of us are?
Rudy
C-170B N4490B
Plantation Florida
(Based at North Perry Airport,
KHWO, Miramar FL)