Goodyear crosswind landing gear

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

lizholland

Goodyear crosswind landing gear

Post by lizholland »

Hi,
I am reviewing the 337 forms for a 170B. One of them says, "Removed Goodyear crosswind landing gear, P/N FK70B56-52 from both landing gear and installed standard gear."

I'm a member of CPA and owner of a 150 - looking to make the move to a 170, so I just joined ITC170A. Can someone explain what the crosswind landing gear is? Was it a factory option? The date on the 337 is Oct 17, 1964.
Thanks a lot. Hope to be an owner member soon.
Liz
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

Liz,

My 170B also came from the factory with crosswind gear. I'm sure one of the other members can explain it better than me, but crosswind gear allowed the mains to castor to a certain degree enabling you to land in a crabbed stance while the main wheels rolled straight.

I've actually got a few take-offs and landings in a C195 with the crosswind gear still mounted. It definitely takes some getting used to.

Where are you based out of. I'm just about 60nm west of Ft. Worth and a new 170 owner myself. Had mine for a whole 2 weeks.
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Liz

You've made the right move joining the TIC170A. There are a whole bunch of great 170 folk in Tx. Do not be afraid to look any of them up in your quest for a 170.

As for the cross wind landing gear. It was an option from the factory. It is not a popular item today for many reasons and not seen much today.

My good friend and flying buddy still has them installed on his 170. He's been flying them for 35 years and wouldn't think of removing them. He and another fellow I've meet are the only 2 people I know who wouldn't think removing the gear was an improvement.

Basically as already described the axles have a knuckle which allows the main wheels to caster from one side to the other. I've gathered most people didn't like them because the mechanism requires maintenance to keep them working right. when they aren't adjusted right they kick out when you don't want and the airplane is a pain in the butt to taxi. Plus the aircraft virtually can not be pushed backwards with out one kicking out and stopping your progress.

Second they require the use of Goodyear brakes. These brakes are also high maintenance items and have been the demise of more than a few 170's.

My friend takes great pleasure flying his. He loves to take off in a crab with the gear kicked out. He will not intentionally try to land in a crab and rely on the gear kicking out but he has assured me that his plane was saved many times in the 15 years it was use daily as a trainer and in the time he's owned it
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Sorry for the late reply on this topic, but I've been on vacation and out of touch internet-wise.

As I stated in an earlier post, '98C came from the factory with Goodyear crosswind landing gear, and were removed only because the cost of replacement of some damaged parts (cracked wheel half, and a pitted wheel bearing) exceeded the cost of a new set of Clevelands. I only ran them for a year, but I don't remember any required adjustments, and no operational problems if operated in a sane manner. As I've also said before, I never intentionally landed in a crab, but I did get a kick out of the look on other pilots' faces when they would kick out while taking a turn a bit too fast, and the looks on line persons' faces when spinning into a parking spot and stopping with one wheel cocked 30 degrees. 8O

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne