Winter is coming, new exhaust and cabin heat

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rupertjl

Winter is coming, new exhaust and cabin heat

Post by rupertjl »

During the annual this year the exhaust system looked like it was on it's last leg. So I did a search on here and found out about AWI welding and their replacement exhaust system for the 170A. I currently have the pancake style mufflers with the shrouds on them, but no cabin heat hooked up. If I go with the exhaust from AWI, where would be the best place to get the right flapper valve to allow cabin heat? There is a cut out on the firewall that was plugged so I assume there used to be cabin heat, and the airbox has a 2" port on the back end of it that is capped. Anyone know of a good place or would a part number given to an aircraft junkyard work better? By the way, I was quoted $1695 for a complete exhaust system from AWI, anyone out there buy from there recently and how did it fit up?

Thanks!

Jud
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

That seems like a pretty good price fort a complete system, if it includes the muffs.
Even if the cabin heat was disconnected, I'd think that the heat valve woulda been left in place on the firewall. Did your airplane used to live in the desert southwest or some other hot locale? Kinda surprised that someone took the trouble to remove (not just disconnect) the cabin heat system. A friend of mine disconnects the cabin heat from the exh muff on his Luscombe in the summer, and hooks some scat between the heat valve & a scoop at the front of the engine area for "cabin air".
On my ragwing (pancake mufflers), the carb heat comes off one muff (the RH side as I recall) and the cabin heat off the other side. Not exactly per the IPC, but that's how it was when I got it & it works.
Heat valve pruchase: check the IPC for p/n's, then call the salvage outfits &/or post a "wanted" ad on the trademart forum. Don't forget, you'll need the control cable & knob too.

Eric
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

You should be able to find a valve as it was pretty common in the late '50 Cessna's. One thing you may want to consider is the early 150 valves look to be the same except the manifold excepts 3" scat instead of 2".

By increasing the size of the scat on the inlet side you would be increasing the volume of air which I'd think would mean better/more heat. Depending where your located that could be REAL nice in the winter.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
3958v

Post by 3958v »

I did the conversion you are talking about on my 48 earlier this year and am pleased with the results. I have the the original ragwing duct system which puts the output of the two muffs togather. The heat while still not great is much better. There were no problems with the installation all went smoothly. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

N9149A wrote:You should be able to find a valve as it was pretty common in the late '50 Cessna's. One thing you may want to consider is the early 150 valves look to be the same except the manifold excepts 3" scat instead of 2".
The later B-models, SN 25373 and on, have cabin heat plumbing for 3" scat, including the front engine baffle, right muffler shroud, rear baffle union (supplies fresh air to cabin), and firewall valve. This system is quite adequate for the lower 48, as I've been able to maintain the cabin in the 40s with an OAT of -20 (yes, thats MINUS 20).

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

I just wish winter would come to South Florida- the hottest summer on record, temperature still in the 90's, and another two months of hurricane season to look forward to !
Rudy
C-170B N4490B
Plantation Florida
(Based at North Perry Airport,
KHWO, Miramar FL)