B wings on an A model?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wspencer

radio

Post by wspencer »

I was just getting started on this new websote and saw that you might have a radio for sale. Is it already sold? I was wondering if you knew right off the top of your head how to sign up for the electronic Flypaper. I haven't had much of a chance to look at all the stuff here but I was also wondering how much trouble it was to change a 170A into a 170B. I already have a B model but recently got an A model that had been ground-looped and didn't have any wings so I need to come up with a new pair of wings for it anyway. I would be interested in your thoughts on the issue. I worked as an A&P sheetmetal guy for about 4 years long ago but never rebuilt any planes so I'm sure this will be a learning experience. Any good books on the subject? I already have the SRAM from the association.
cessna170bdriver

Re: radio

Post by cessna170bdriver »

wspencer wrote:I was wondering if you knew right off the top of your head how to sign up for the electronic Flypaper.
wspencer,

Welcome to the site! You'll definitely learn a lot ... if nothing else how to sort the wheat from the chaff :lol: . To change to electronic FlyPaper, click on the "Go to Members Only Page" link at the top of this page. Near the upper center of that page, you will find a message telling you how you now receive your FlyPaper, and a link to click if you want to change.

I'll let the other guys (gahorn & N9149A, et. al) educate you on the interchangability of wings. :wink:

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

From what I understand, the wing attach is the same on the A & B. The difference is the flap mechanism, including the handle. Seems like it'd be quite a job. But probably do-able. I seem to recall that someone on this site has an A with B wings, or was it a B with A wings? darned alztheimers anyways........

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The Spot/Short Landing Champion of Petit Jean 2005 is an expert on this mod. :wink:
Great video. Thanks, Dave!
Great landing, Bruce! :D
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

gahorn wrote:The Spot/Short Landing Champion of Petit Jean 2005 is an expert on this mod. :wink:
Great video. Thanks, Dave!
Great landing, Bruce! :D
Video??? Where? I've heard so much about it I'd love to see it.
Doug
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

A link to the video will be posted as soon as I can get some computer stuff sorted out.

What George was refering to is my 170 is supposed to be an A model with B model wings installed. So I've studied this more than most and while I didn't do the modification myself I have a pretty good insight what it would take to convert an A model to a B model.

You will need B model wings and struts. The struts are longer giving the dihederal. You will need at least the rear carry through spar if not the whole bulkhead assembly at station 63.55. You will need to change these out because unlike the A model the B modle has the aileron and flap cable pulleys mounted in these locations and the cables are routed completely different.

You will also need a B model flap handle assembly as it is different than the A model.

Then if you really want to do a full conversion you'll have to replace the horizontal stabilizer and elevators to the slightly different balanced B model version.

Of course I've only mentioned the big parts here.

Oh yes then the paperwork starts. Good luck.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com