Pre-Purchase shop recomendations

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle

Pre-Purchase shop recomendations

Post by Kyle »

Good Morning Everyone,

I am hoping one of our members might be able to recommend a shop familiar with the 170's for a pre-purchase inspection in NC.

The plane is currently hangered in RUQ - Rowan County Airport, Salisbury, NC. From the exterior, it looks great, inspection covers removed it appears to have almost 0 corrosion, no damage history and all logs since new .... however one never knows about what we can't see.

Further, I'm not an A&P. Any help ... recomendations with name and contact numbers would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance,
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Kyle, we have several members in the NC area, I'll bet can make a recommendation for you. If they don't happen to log on and see your msg in a day or so, I'll email them for you.

I guess it's time for us as a club/association to put together a list of AP/IA's and shops that have served us well with our own 170s. Anyone knowing of a shop or individual who has actually done work for you, should (get their permission first) list them with us. I'll create a geographical chart and include the submitted info. Email or PM me with:
YOUR name and contact info.
Your recommended shop/mechanic's name/info.
The nature of their work, I.E., minor airframe, major airframe, minor engine, major engine, major restoration, inspections, electrical-avionics, interior, paint ...should be the categories.
Thank you.
George Horn, Parts/MX, TIC170A
gahorn146ys (at) hotmail (dot) com
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Kyle,

I have an uncle who is a DER and lives about 40 miles from Salisbury. He normally works the bigger iron, but I've emailed him to see if he knows any 170 experts in the area. I'll let you know what he comes up with.
gahorn wrote:I guess it's time for us as a club/association to put together a list of AP/IA's and shops that have served us well with our own 170s.
If you are a member, check the directory for our only member in Slidell, LA. He has his IA, has owned a 170 for over 40 years, and helped me with all of my maintenance and modifications when I lived in the area. He REQUIRES owner assistance, has all the tools and hardware, is very good at what he does, and is very easy to work with. If no major problems came up we could get a thorough annual done over a weekend. However, since Slidell is just across Lake Ponchartrain from New Orleans, you might want to wait a while before contacting him. :wink:

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

George, Miles,

Thanks for the assistance .... standing by.
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Kyle,

My uncle (James Jeffers) sent me this reply:

Miles,
There is ONLY one guy in this whole area that I would use. He is Todd Clamp at Newberry, SC (FBO) I have known Todd for over 10 years and he is the best and very reasonable in price. Todd has A&P, IA, DAR-T, single/multi CFII, etc.
His phone is: 803- 924-2089
As an item of interest, Todd tickles the hell out of me with his South Carolina southern dialect but don't let that fool you--he is one more sharp son-of-a-gun. Regards Jim

Hope this helps, Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne