Tailwheel flat

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Tail Wheel Flats

Post by 170C »

Miles, your instructor must have been smarter than mine or maybe it was my instructor's student who wasn't so smart :? I seem to remember calculating weight & balance to pass the test, but haven't done so since 1983. Guess I should brush the dust off that old private pilot 3 ring binder and do some studying. I didn't attend a formal ground school, rather self study with the above mentioned home study method.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

As Eric pointed out, you'd lose the advantage of a pneumatic tire. That might exacerbate our problem of main springs breaking (especially if you had a steel spacer?) 180's don't have that problem with their nice tapered tube springs. I knew there had to be a catch !
Rudy
C-170B N4490B
Plantation Florida
(Based at North Perry Airport,
KHWO, Miramar FL)
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

BTW, that gives new meaning to "Spring Break"!
Rudy
C-170B N4490B
Plantation Florida
(Based at North Perry Airport,
KHWO, Miramar FL)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

rudymantel wrote:BTW, that gives new meaning to "Spring Break"!
Rudy
Rudy, Sorry to say it, but that sounds like something George would have said! :lol:

BTW, I'm curious to know what foam is used in tires, and what life could be expected. There are a lot of foams out there that would take a high static load but would turn to dust under the flexing.

Michelin is working on an airless tire/wheel combination called a tweel.
http://www.michelinman.com/difference/r ... 2005a.html

The look would take some getting used to 8O , and I'm sure the development and approval costs for aircraft would astronomical.

There is a composite-core airless scooter tire that claims to ride like a pneumatic tire that is advertised at http://members.tripod.com/~coleco/airle ... m#airless8 that looks close to the right size for a tailwheel... (George, please just pretend like you didn't see this :lol: )

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well,... if anyone REALLY want's to try a home-made solution to this ...
WalMart sells, in their bicycle section, solid foam "inner tube" replacements for 2" bicycle tires. I guess if someone were to purchase one of those things, and cut it on an angle so as to give greater surface to glue/vulcanize it back into a circle from it's original 20" or so diameter,... one could make a solid-foam "inner tube" for their kids toys ... many of which are about the same size/diameter as ... say ... a Scott 3200 tailwheel on a 170. :wink:
Don't know how critical such a thing might be at speed if it were less than perfectly balanced, or how it might affect tire wear. Please just pretend I didn't type this. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

rudymantel wrote:As Eric pointed out, you'd lose the advantage of a pneumatic tire. That might exacerbate our problem of main springs breaking (especially if you had a steel spacer?) 180's don't have that problem with their nice tapered tube springs. I knew there had to be a catch !
Rudy
Well Rudy I had the privilege of busting a 180 stinger! It was the early lightweight size, I was loaded to leave for Arizona (that should read really loaded) and when I turned on to the runway it broke just at the tailwheel casting. Went off like a rifle shot. 8O Nothing damaged.

A really close preflight might have revealed the crack forming. :oops:
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
170C

Tail Wheel Discussions

Post by 170C »

George, you mentioned you carry an inexpensive foot powered air pump with you. What would be wrong with carrying one of those aerosol cans that auto supply stores sell to air up automotive tires? Of course if it leaked one could find it empty when needed, but most aerosol cans don't have a propensity to leak.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The aerosol cans usually also are loaded with latex. Latex does not really seal leaks very well. Plus, once latex is loaded into the tube...you can forget about simply patching it and saving it. It's definitely a throw away. And if the leak persists...you now have latex and water inside your tire and on your wheel halves and..... etc. It's not nice.
(I don't even let my wife carry those cans in her car. A tubless leak filled with that stuff also renders a car tire useless and relegates it to the trash heap, while a patch would most likely save the tire. No self-respecting tire repair store would sell you or advise you to use those things.)
My foot pump cost less than $5. My tool kit also cost less than $5. My patch kit cost less than $2. In less than 30 mins I can be repaired legally, permanently, and back on the road again. Just an opinion.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
170C

Tires

Post by 170C »

Thanks for your opinion on the aerosol can deal. I have never had one or used one and was just curious. I don't need more complications by using one. Now to go to Wally World & see if they still have those $5 foot pumps! :wink:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

gahorn wrote: A tubeless leak filled with that stuff also renders a car tire useless and relegates it to the trash heap, while a patch would most likely save the tire.
I don't think I would use it in my airplane. If it continued to slow leak in flight it would not be a good thing. But.... I have used it many, many times in auto tires and all of the tires were repaired with no problems. Some tire shops charge an extra 3 or 4 dollars to clean up the mess when repairing the tire. Well worth it for the convenience in my opinion. Personally, I love the stuff.
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'm not taking issue with N2865C 's message, and not attempting to have the last word on this....I just regret not mentioning that.... The tire shops I've visited universally condemned the stuff. Their reason was that the latex liquid can penetrate between the plys of the tire carcass and loosen the original vulcanizing. The tire mfr's all condemn it for the same reason (according to the same shops.) The liquid (while still in the tire) also disrupts any balance that may have existed previously. Tube-types especially don't seal well because the latex doesn't dry properly except when exposed to the air, something that doesn't happen within a tire's carcass when trying to plug a tube.
They also refuse to repair a tire that has been previously repaired with a plug, for similar reasons. The air can slip between the plys and delaminate the tire's plys rendering the tire unsafe. They all agree a repairable tire can be patched properly with no problem, as long as the puncture is not on a sidewall.
n2582d

Re:

Post by n2582d »

rudymantel wrote:I REALLY like Eric's suggestion of a foam-filled tailwheel tire. What's the downside ? (Except of course that it's not FAA Approved)-
Do auto tire shops now offer this foam-filling?
Sounds like a great idea and would preclude carrying those spare tailwheel parts and having to worry about tire pressures and of course flat tires. There's gotta be a catch !
Rudy
At the local hardware store today I saw a display by Marathon Tire that had various sizes of small foam-filled tires.
Single-Tire-Display.jpg
Single-Tire-Display.jpg (11.86 KiB) Viewed 11899 times
Not something to use normally but it looks like something to consider for a spare when out in the boondocks. This one looks like it would fit.
Gary
T. C. Downey

Re:

Post by T. C. Downey »

gahorn wrote: 5. Tire talc is traditionally made of ...well, ....talc.

Actually it's powdered soap stone..

Some folks substitute baby powder. Modern, high-quality baby powder is no longer made of talc. It's made of corn starch which absorbs moisture but does not lubricate the tube/tire. When using talc,...be very careful not to breathe the dust. It's as dangerous as asbestos dust. (It's a mineral which your lungs will not efficiently expell and the body will encapsulate it, possibly forming a future tumor.) But if you use talc inside the tire (and I recommend it) use either tire talc specifically provided for the purpose, or buy cheaper baby powders which are labelled as "talc".
That's because soap stone is a natural substance and your body will not reject it. It simply stays with you like lead, or black lung.
Last edited by T. C. Downey on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
T. C. Downey

Re: Tailwheel flat

Post by T. C. Downey »

I have two tail wheel types that I do annuals for, I asked them why they never have a tailwheel flat. the first one said his went flat a while back, and I put a can of fix-a- flat in it and it has been good ever since. The second simply said the tire was on there when I got the aircraft and it has never bother me, so I don't mess with a good thing.
bagarre

Re: Tailwheel flat

Post by bagarre »

Before I go cutting a Walmart foam tube to wedge it into my tire, I'd go this route

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200473613

With a hand grinder, you can cut the hub flange off to remove the tire easier to you can use your own hub. (Why not make it look legal?)
It's tough to find solid core tires not already mounted on a hub. There are some for electric wheel chairs that are the same size but I doubt they would stand up to the runway. They are non marking...in case you land on a basketball court or something. :roll:

Fix-a-flat isn't supposed to be used in tubed tires. In fact, it's supposed to be a road side emergency fix to get you to the tire shop when you don't have a spare. (IMHO) it's just bad form to use that crap in anything except your kid's mini bike tires.

But, any non pneumatic tire that doesn't have to be pressed onto the hub will more than likely spin on the hub when you touch down. Not too many hand trucks are made to hit the ground at 50mph on a regular basis.