Control Surface Rebuilds

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Romeo Tango

Control Surface Rebuilds

Post by Romeo Tango »

I finally took the plunge and rebuilt my C170 flaps that had been beaten up by California summer winds (stuns me that the prior owners didn't spend the $25 on flap gust locks).

Anyway, I highly recommend

West Coast Wings
in Ukiah, California.

None of this is inexpensive (or even reasonable) but if you want to do it right, Nick will be the one to visit if you are in this part of the world.

btw - C170 flaps will fit into a C182Q with about 0.02" to spare (go in through the cargo door, fold the rear seat flat, put a rag on the flaps to avoid scratching the window, slip them back into the hatrack, brace them above the throw of the passenger's yoke should full travel be required).

Richard
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

You said a "C170". Did you actually mean a ragwing's flaps?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Since yopu mentioned the lack of a gust lock you must be talking about ragwing or A flaps.
I have hauled propellers in my 170. I remove the back seat, and unsnap the naugahyde cover at the bulkhead aft of the baggage bay. After wrapping/padding the prop, the end goes back into the tailcone area with the prop laying flat on the floor.
I don't think I'd be real comfortable with the cargo laying atop the hat shelf & copilot seat. Better on the floor. IMHO

Eric
Romeo Tango

Post by Romeo Tango »

Affirmative - original model (ragwing) C170 flaps. The tiny marketing flaps that don't lock in place (!)

BTW - the flap control arm connecting horn was on a 56 day backorder, but they turned them around in about 30.