count down

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Watkinsnv

count down

Post by Watkinsnv »

I just got done preoiling my engine Lyc O-360 by hand pumping oil through it. Filled the oil filter, saw oil pressure on the gauge turned the prop by hand so the lifters could work and got oil returned to the oil sump. I was also able to pre LK CK it. Filled the aircraft with fuel ran the elect fuel pump LK CKed the Fuel system. The R/H fuel tank gauge was leaking so I defueled that tank and changed the rubber gasket. I had changed the L/H side some time ago, should have changed them out together. I'm finishing up the electrical work by running the ground wires to a single grounding point where the battery is also grounded. I brought up each electrical component one at a time so I could check them out and not the whole electrical system at once. I installed a new instrument reostat and had to figure out how to wire it in. Last Friday I washed the aircraft with the cowling off because the engine needed it, and the only part firwall forward that I didn't change the battery master selenoid gave up the ghost. So I installed one from Spruce for $17.30 P/N 111-226 what a deal. Done tie-wrapping wires and clamping stuff in the engine compartment. Its so nice If you take the time to secure everything and looks so neat when its done. Turned the key and heard the shower of sparks buzzing. next time I turn the key the prop going to turn, fast then faster I hope. Lance
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Whoo-Hooo! Gettin' excitin'! Video it and post a link so we can watch!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Congratulations, Lance!

It's great to hear that you are about to get going again.

I'm the one that bought your old C-145 FWF back in '01. Thought you might like to know it's still running strong. I'ts up to 1700 hours SMOH and still leaking as much oil as ever (keeps the mount from rusting :) ), but only one cylinder below 70 (65) and isn't making any metal (knock on wood). I put 4 hours on it this past weekend and it never missed a beat. I also like the 51 pitch prop up here in the mountains and heat (6500 ft density altitude is not uncommon).

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Watkinsnv

And away we go

Post by Watkinsnv »

Well I pulled it out of the hangar and decided to start it up. After working on the vacuum system most of the day. I got called out at the last minute to work on a flat and leaking nose gear strut of a SouthWest 737. When I got back I thought I would count the blades until it started but as the first blade went by it was already running. I'm trying a new cam brake in proceedure where you run the engine for thirty seconds then shut it down and let it cool, then run it for one minute and let it cool. You work up to until you have about ten minutes or so on the engine and the cam and followers have had a chance to work in a little with out being under a load. I ran it three times each time I looked and noticed different things like my vacuum is too high, the Alt is working, the oil pressure comes right up, my idle is a little too low. and the only one that has me wondering is the mixture even though it moves from stop to stop doesn't kill the engine. Alot in just over three minutes. Tues I get my medical then I need a BFR I'm going to take it on the maiden voyage. I'm going to leave the prop in low pitch for the first flight they say its good not to throw those kind of loads on the crank and bearings during the brake in. Lance
Watkinsnv

Post by Watkinsnv »

Passed my medical, had to replumb the vacuum systems gauge and set the regulator just right now. Renewed my insurance it starts Monday. Now for the delay! I called Kelley Aerospace and got the information I needed to pop the carb apart and take a look at the mixture. Well I also found I have a plastic float, so it comes down to I could buy parts and save a little or pay alot and get an overhauld MA4-5 carb with the new float, tested and redy to go. So as I call around to find one it quickly became clear how rare carb cores and overhauld carbs are and I ran out of time. So on Monday I'll call around some more for an overhauld carb or send mine out and get it overhauld. I ran my engine for the next to last time before its first flight I hope. I cycled the prop at a low rpm to get oil in the crank and prop dome even though they say leave it in low pitch on its first flight. I wanted to test it and lk ck it. Heres the kicker I've had my plane in the hanger where I work for the last 6 months, It was going to be weeks Ha! The hangar is shared with two other companies one of which ownes or just bought the hanger. Bottom line no stored aircraft or to the point get that plane out of the hanger. Finished just in time, we'll see how long I can keep it tied down on the ramp for free while I look for a hanger. Lance
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Lance, what's this LK Ck ? I never heard of leaving the prop in low pitch for a first flght- Could you please explain ?
And good luck on that flight and all others !
Rudy
C-170B N4490B
Plantation Florida
(Based at North Perry Airport,
KHWO, Miramar FL)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Rudy, I'm not trying to steal Lance's thunder, but I've heard of it. The practice is intended to prevent low rpm/high loading of the engine during initial break-in. Cycling the prop before takeoff momentarily drops oil pressure within the engine and on initial break-in it's considered better to keep oil pressures up and rpm's up. After all, even a new prop doesn't really need "break in" in the sense that an engine does. Voiding the prop dome of air will occur anyway and not cycling the prop doesn't hurt it on a first flight.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

George, not cycling the prop prior to a first flight makes sense. But normal, conservative operation of the prop during the flight, avoding low rpm, hi MP, shouldn't hurt. Leaving the prop control (governor) full forward would mean operating at 2700 rpm for much of the flight. No harm, I guess, but it seems unnecesary.
Rudy
C-170B N4490B
Plantation Florida
(Based at North Perry Airport,
KHWO, Miramar FL)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Rudy, low pitch (high rpm) is better for the new engine during breakin because the oil pump is direct driven, therefore directly proportional to rpm. A high rpm will ensure high oil-flow. (High oil pressure does not guarantee high flow.) Low rpm (high prop pitch) can cause bearing/journal scuffing on new parts that haven't yet matched up with each other. (And remember, high rpm does not prevent high manifold pressure. During breaking there's no need to worry about overspeeding because of the prop governor's actions, therefore high MP (open throttles at low altitude) will also equal high (good) rpm and good forward speed resulting in good cooling airflow, good cooling oil flow, and good upper cylinder pressures (good ring seating).
Watkinsnv

IT FLEW!

Post by Watkinsnv »

So got my carb back, put it on, ran it up, adjusted everything connected to it. Everything ready to go and I cant get my qualified to give me a flight review and go on my maiden voyage break in guy UNTIL TODAY! No pressure here. Getting out of RNO 4412'ELV Class C climed to 8500' flew for 1.1HR. Flight went picture perfect. I was watching alot of things and had so many new buttons and guages to operate for the first time that I made two lists. One Freq's and switches to get out of RNO and another to get back into RNO. Then there was the new engine had to monitor it and of coarse it was a flight review( biannual) Had to fly right. Performance wise the only things I notest was I got to 8500' in half the distance it use to take. It flew faster in low pitch than it did before the conversion. It climbed at around 450'min @ 90miles an HR and indicated 110 miles an HR @ low pitch. Smooth and quiet. Oh and I passed too. Lance
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Lance,

Let me be the first to congratulate you! :D I'm looking forward to seeing you at a fly-in sometime.

I know how good if feels to get an airplane going after some years off. I pulled my O-300 in June of 1987 and didn't get it back on and flying 'till November of 1990. (Like in your case, it was't due to loafing: I had 2 kids, got an instrument rating, bought a farm, and built an airstrip. 8O )

Thanks to you and your old C-145 my last down time was significantly shorter. :)

Later, Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I'm sure Lance sent me these photos to post here.

I really like the paint scheme Lance.

ImageImage

He said they were taken just after the first flight
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com