Colours scheme for 170 Wheel pants

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Stinson driver

Colours scheme for 170 Wheel pants

Post by Stinson driver »

Hi all,
I have finaly found a set of wheel spats (wheel pants US ?)for my 1953 170b -- They are Fibreglass copies but better than nothing-
My plane is in the origional c170 cour scheme spayed silver where it would normally be polished-
I want to spray my wheel pants to the origional patern but cant find anything on the net
does anyone have a pic of what the clour scheme on the spats should be ?
Any help or advise apreciated
regards Doug Reeve
Johannesburg South Africa
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Wheel pants were usually available in two color patterns: Bare aluminum (Silver in your case), or Painted. The painted pattern from the factory was the entire wheel pant solid color in the trim color of the airplane with the raised horizontal ridge (NOT the seam) that wraps around the sides of the wheel pant in the "base color" - i.e. bare aluminum from the factory or silver in your case.

Here's a link to a copy of the 1952 sales brochure:
http://ww.xxxxxxxxxxxxeaa701.org/images ... -cover.jpg

Site has been moved to:
http://www.damowry.com/images/projc170/ ... -cover.jpg
Last edited by doug8082a on Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug
Stinson driver

Post by Stinson driver »

Thanx Doug- I think I will go with the two colours
Apreciated

Cheers Doug Reeve
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Doug, the other Doug is correct about that and the brochure gives a colorized "illustration" of wheel pants. But the pic is of a 1952 airplane.
The 1953 wheel pant was very similar although slightly different. Email me directly and I"ll send you a photo of the original '53 scheme. (The natural aluminum stripe on the "ridge" did not wrap around the front of the pant. It only began at the sides and ran to the rear.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)