needing baffle parts

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

funseventy

needing baffle parts

Post by funseventy »

I am working on the firewall forward on my 170. I am painting all the baffling, firewall, and engine mount while the engine is away for O'haul. The 3 pieces of baffling on either side of the engine that sit above the valve covers are servicable but not worthy of paint. I am looking for all 6 of those parts if anyone has a line on an extra set. If you have the part numbers handy I would call Cessna and check the prices. Any other suggestions??

Thanks,
Kelly
dacker

Post by dacker »

Kelly, I am not sure if this will help but I saw baffling that can be used for 170s in Wag Aero, you might try Aircraft Spruce as well.
David
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Kelly, pardon the bluntness (I'm really only trying to be helpful) but you really MUST get a IPC (illustrated parts catalog.) Not only would you be able to know what you're looking for, you'd also know how to tell US what you're looking for.
There are a couple of different types of engine cooling baffles used on 170s. One would have to know exactly which model you had, and in some cases, which SERIAL number you had.
But of course, If you had a IPC you'd know yourself what you needed and could shop for them. Wag Aero has baffles for the early 172 which are capable of being modified or already fit exactly the B-model 170s. I do not believe they will sell only those parts you're mentioning, but they'll sell you the whole shebang for a whole lot less than Cessna will likely offer only those few parts for.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

George,

That is exactly the post I was looking for and I am a long way from being offended. I ordered the IPC for the airplane, and engine. I have the 100 series service manual already and now I am looking for the Overhaul Manual for the O-300.

The good news is that my '54 B does not have the plenum style so most early 172 parts should be interchangable.

I will be going home tonight to look through all of my catalogs to see what I can find.

Kelly
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

Kelly,

How about giving us some background on your FWF overhaul? What factors made you decide to OH at this time? What shop did you send your engine to?

Bruce
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Yeah, Kelly, this is a heck of a time of year to be down for overhaul! What's going on?

Eric
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

When I bought my airplane I truly found a diamond in the rough. It was a NDH airplane and the previous family had it for just over 39 years, wow!

When I bought it the paint and interior were rotton and the engine had 520 SMOH since 1971. There is a clue to its fate.

The airplane had been sitting for a decade so prior to sale they did a ton of upgrades. New Radios, all new wiring, new Alternator conversion, Wing tip strobes, New Carb and Mags, along with a new windshield and a long list of small items.

I upgraded the interior and got it painted, of which most of you have seen now. Just prior to paint I put a lot of time and money into the engine. I had a cylinder that had a groove cut into the exhaust flange due to a bad leak. All the exhaust flanges were in pretty bad shape (old age and warped). Another cylinder on the same side was showing signs of combustion between the barrel and head, yuck.

After checking the price of new Continental cylinders ($600); I decided to change all 3 on that side. After close inspection and now 200 hours of experience with this engine I could not see any reason to touch the other side. I spent a good bit of time and money on all the exhaust system and got it up to almost new standards. I was so excited Raina and I talked about how we now had an engine that would go for 300-400 hours with little to no maintenance, yeah!!

Now it comes back from paint and I have a little vibration, but only a slight annoyance. It finally seemed to be a symptom of something bigger and I had one of the older cylinders with low compression. This was only 60 hours since my big undertaking, but not too surprised by the old cylinder. But as long as I am there I thought I'd check the condition of the new cylinders. And one of the was showing 70/80 and blowing past the exhaust valve which will not get any better and this is after 60 hours, now that was heartbreaking. Yes, continental will stand behind them but who wants to take them off when you just put them on. After a few phone calls I find this to be a common occurrence with new cylinders from TCM.

I decided that with where I fly and how I fly it was time to stop throwing money into a 1971 O'haul. I called around with all the big names and saw bids back for my engine at $18-23K for the overhaul of an unsupported engine. Well it didn't take me long to start calling the Franklin and IO-360 Continental guys about a engine upgrade. I found a 100 hour SFRM IO-360 for $16K outright with all Accessories and thought that was where I was headed. I have never been one to upgrade a 170, I think it'd be better to get into a 180 again, but when it is going to be close to the same money and I need to do something...

Finally Brown Aviation in Tulsa who has done several quality engines for my family came in with a number under 15K with all new Millineum cylinders. And that started to sound good after adding up the price of the STC, Prop, and additional fuel burn for the bigger engine. So off my engine went to Tulsa. I thought it was perfect timeing because it can be truly hot and unenjoyable in July and August around here. So I am shooting for getting her back together for September 1st when all the fun starts happening around here.

The steel parts all went off to be checked and the Cam didn't make it and that makes me happy because it further justifies my decision. Larry will put it on the Dyno prior to shipping it back and I am excited to know what I will have. He will use balanced rods, etc, so I am hoping to break the 150 hp mark. I will keep you informed of the progress.

The firewall fwd was always an eyesore to me and I am really excited about how it is coming along. Powder coated engine mount, white firewall, bright orange baffling to match the exterior and even the inside of the cowl, along with new hardware, scat, etc it is really looking sharp. I just had a week that was like American Chopper, my wife had to pick up parts from powdercoat and also from the chromer; it makes me feel like I need to walk around the shop and yell at my boys.

I didn't get carried away with chrome but I hate how the paint chips on the tie down rings and the door pins rust, so I took advantage of the down time.

Well Bruce and Eric, you asked for it!!
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

Thanks Kelly, Didn't know you were having "signs and symptoms" in your old engine. I knew you had an old overhaul ('71) and wanted to know the details. My engine was also last overhauled in '71 but I guess I have been lucky, it's never had a jug off in the 1000 hours I've had it. But I know my time is coming with 1400 SMOH. Those $18-23K bids do not sound good at all. I havn't checked the local engine shops like BJ's and Mad Mikes for bids so will be interesting to see.

Bruce
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

Well, the engine is is on a truck and I should have it on Tuesday or so. They ran it on the Dyno yesterday and I am happy with the results. They ran it long enough to break in the cylinders and that gives me a ready to work engine.

The final numbers were $14,500 with all of the accessories overhauled and he used balanced pistons and rods. Rex the man running the dyno converted all of his numbers to standard day and temp and it came out to 152 HP. I don't know what the engine would have shown when it was new, but I am still very pleased with the sound of it.

I would be glad to give out his info to anyone looking to get an engine done. He has done an engine for c170bdan, an O-470R for my dad, and another O-300 for my old Swift. He has been a family friend for 30+ years and I would recommend him every time. I'll keep you informed of the engines performance and smoothness as I get back to flying her. He ended up with my engine for a total of 6.5 weeks. This was a hard push as I have stuff at work that requires the 170; I think 10 weeks is more his standard.
zero.one.victor

Sounds like he did you right-- 6.5 weeks is pretty quick, and $14.5K seems reasonable considering OH of the accessories is included.
Hope you have many happy hours behind the new engine!

Eric
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

The engine showed up Friday and I worked like a madman all weekend and flew for 2 hours on Sunday. All things look good so far. I am taking it to be Dynamically balanced on Friday. It Started on the 3rd blade and is running really well. It is still very tight and I can't wait to see what she does when it is truly Broken in.

zero.one.victor

Looks real pretty Kelly. Glad you're back in the air with the 170!

Eric
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

Looks as though you liked my white firewall and engine when you saw it a sun n fun. :D
Good luck... she looks beautiful.
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
zero.one.victor

Hey Kelly, I just took a closer look at the pic of your engine installation. Them blue ignition harnesses gotta go! Whatsa matter, couldn't ya find any orange ones??? :wink:

Eric
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

OK Eric, Put 'em up! Now I'm offended. I chose those to match my blue pinstripes on the rest of the airplane. Are you ready to take it outside? :lol: