80 Octane

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N2865C

80 Octane

Post by N2865C »

Last week there was a note on the 80 Octane pump at our airport saying that there would be no more 80 when the storage tank was empty. Today I saw this on the AOPA site.

80-OCTANE AVGAS BECOMES EXTINCT
AOPA members recently called the AOPA Pilot Information Center (800/USA-AOPA) to investigate rumors that 80-octane aviation fuel is out of production. They're true. AOPA has confirmed that Kern Oil, the last known refiner of 80-octane avgas, has stopped making all aviation gasoline........

I think I will go buy some Alcor stock today.

jc
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

WOW!

I guess bad news travels fast. I just received the message about 80 octane being out of production from our local AOPA airport advocate, and logged on here to pass the word, and found that "jc" beat me to it.

My airplane has been running fine on un-doctored 100LL for about 9 years (the plugs get cleaned once a year whether they need it or not), so this does not affect me directly, but it still seems sad to see the end of an era. :cry:

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Miles, the "end of an era" occurred when they quit making 71/76 and started putting nosegears on airplanes! :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

gahorn wrote:Miles, the "end of an era" occurred when they quit making 71/76 and started putting nosegears on airplanes! :lol:
That just shows how young George is. An old timer would say it was when they took off the skid and put on a tailwheel!!
jc
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Why do we have pictures of airplanes, etc., blocking out the message below? For example, George Horn's message was completely blocked out by an oversize picture of a C-170.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dick, your computer probably was just a bit slow loading Miles' pic and it sent my msg lower or onto the next screen.

JC: REAL old timers would say it was when they started putting BRAKES on airplanes! :lol: (Had to when they did the wheel thing.)
Trivia question: Which airplane maker broke the tail skid barrier and started installing tailwheels as a standard item? And why?
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
mit

Post by mit »

gahorn wrote:Dick, your computer probably was just a bit slow loading Miles' pic and it sent my msg lower or onto the next screen.

JC: REAL old timers would say it was when they started putting BRAKES on airplanes! :lol: (Had to when they did the wheel thing.)
Trivia question: Which airplane maker broke the tail skid barrier and started installing tailwheels as a standard item? And why?

I think it was Stinson same with brakes, Eddie broke a lot of new ground.
Tim
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Although Stinson did make the tailwheel available on some aircraft, Stinson was not the first to make it a STANDARD item.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

The picture of Miles airplane is below his message and is superimposed on the following message blocking it out completely
-------every time! The picture is about the physical size of a post card.
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

blueldr

This thing with Miles airplane photo might only be happening on your computer. On both the computers I use which have 2 different operating systems and 2 different browsers the picture works perfectly and no messages are blocked.

Don't have any suggestions how to fix this.

BTW Miles photo was smaller at one time then grew to twice the size. Something tells me he doesn't realize how big it is. In any case it should not be covering any messages. This is a function of your browser and font software messing up I'm afraid.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
170C

Miles' Photo

Post by 170C »

I have two emails from Miles and I had no problem with either. I think there is a computer problem causing the message blocking on your screen. (Super Photo too!)
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Back to the demise of 80 Octane- just use autogas !
Rudy
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Bruce F.
Regarding photos on messages--- Your picture of boys and their toys also impinges an inch and a half into the message below yours.
BL