Need advice on purchasing 170B

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Steve Drymon

Need advice on purchasing 170B

Post by Steve Drymon »

Hi guys;
I'm a new member, although I've been lurking for about a month, trying to pick up a little knowledge. I'm on my way to look at a '52 170B with the 180 hp conversion (0-360A1A 150 TSOH) with a new fixed-pitch McCauley (7656). I'm planning on operating from a 1800' farm strip, and have developed the opinion that I really should have a C/S prop.
- Is this an unsurmountable problem, or can I convert it to C/S?
- Does anyone know of a good mechanic around the Outer Banks region of NC that I could comission to do a prebuy inspection?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve Drymon
(502)839-4949
stevedrymon@earthlink.net
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

If it has the hollow crank, should be no problem putting on a constsnt speed at some piont.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

If the STC allows a CS prop and the engine can support it you can add it.

You shouldn't have any problem operating it as it is. A friend operated a bone stock 170A out of a 1400ft one way strip at sea level for over 30 years. Of course he rarely had it full of full or left with more than 2 people. He is very conservitive. He used about half the strip.

Another friend operated a 170B 180 w/CS out of the same strip. We once left with 4 adults and nearly full fuel. No problem.

I'm sure others will chime in here. If I was doing the conversion I'd want a CS prop so that I'd have the best climb and cruise performance. But if i found an otherwsie good aircraft i'd buy it and pitch the prop as I needed it. I'm not sure the added weight and complexity of the CS prop is worth it in the long run.
Last edited by Bruce Fenstermacher on Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Man that plane has 10,000 hours on it 8O

Remember you'll need the governor and drive pad, the oil tube going forward, control cable, maybe spinner etc.etc.etc.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Where's it advertised Dave? I checked TAP,it's not there. When I tried ASO,they don't even have a 170 category anymore,and Barnstormers looks like they're going outa business. ???
Steve, I think the fixed-pitch 180 horse 170 will do just fine out of the farm strip. Assuming clear approaches,1800 feet is plenty even for a stock 145 at sea level in moderate temps. High,hot,and/or heavy changes the equation.
I think where you'll miss the constant-speed prop is in cruise. Depends on the pitch of that fixed prop,of course.
The advantages of the fixed-pitch conversion are lighter weight,less (or no) forward-CG problem, and simplicity. Don't know if the advantages (such as they are) make up for the deficiencies,probably not from what others (like Dave) tell me.
If it's a good airplane & you like it,buy it. Then fly it for a while before you invest the money for the c/s prop,governor,etc.,you might like it just the way it is. My two cents worth.

Eric

Eric
Steve Drymon

Post by Steve Drymon »

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to share their thoughts. Yes, it * does have almost 10,000 hours as pipeline patrol, but only 150 hrs since FF forward conversion. I'm leaving in a few minutes to meet the owner and mechanic who did the work, an AI.
I'd sure appreciate any other thoughts...
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

He told me he had a $45,000 reserve. Add to that $10,000 to convert to the constant speed and you've got a lot of money in a tired airframe. At least I'm assuming the airframe is average or below looking, no special radios etc. But to each his own. There's a nice looking 180 there now at $65k.

Spring is a great time to sell but really terrible time to buy.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

High time may not in itself be a reason to reject a potentially good airplane. Low time but old airframes can really be more expensive to maintain because their components have never been replaced. A high time airframe that's had it's components replaced can be the better airplane. Most corporate maintained airplanes in frequent service applications have usually enjoyed good maintenance, with wiring, cables, pulleys, fuel/hydraulic/vacuum line replacements etc. etc.
Condition is more important than total time, in my opinion.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)