Whelen Strobe Issues

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Onewinglo

Whelen Strobe Issues

Post by Onewinglo »

Guys,
My Whelen strobe is giving me problems. I have a HDACF power supply with only wing tip strobes. When I turn it on it will flash 2 or 3 times then stop. Sometimes it will restart for a short time and sometimes not. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to troubleshoot this thing?
Thanks, JP
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!
bagarre

Re: Whelen Strobe Issues

Post by bagarre »

Can you get your hands on a second power supply to swap out?

Mine was acting up the way you describe a few years ago. It ended up being the power supply for me.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

JP,
I included this strobe troubleshooting guide from Cessna in the Maintenance Library. I see that Whelen sells a strobe tester. $190 is probably more than you want to pay for a one time test though. Just looking at your location -- down south in the winter -- I would start by making sure there is no corrosion at the various connections and grounds. DeoxIT is great stuff for cleaning these points.
Gary
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I had a problem with my strobes and it was a ground at the power supply. I had also checked the connections at the wing tips and found nothing. I had power to the supply and it was a problem that took a while to find. Good luck in finding something simple.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
Onewinglo

Post by Onewinglo »

Guys,
Thanks for the replies. I'll do some troubleshooting this weekend. I called Whelen tech support and the man recommended I send it in for repair, or buy a new LED system… but, if I’m inclined to troubleshoot, ensure a good ground and ensure greater than 12 VDC input. I have a DC power supply I can use to ensure > 12 VDC. I’ll clean my connections / jumper to ensure a good ground. I’ve read a dirty / worn power switch can impede voltage which may be the problem. I’ll report my findings.
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

I had a wonky power supply in another plane and ended up buying a replacement from a boneyard. $50! A lot cheaper then repairing or a new LED.

DEM
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Ditto to all the above. Chased the same problem you have. Replaced the tail flash unit. Cleaned connections. Even sent the unit to Whalen for testing. Still had the issue.

Retested and still had the issue. Kept messing with it and suddenly it worked. I strongly think I had a ground or connection issue that we finally got cleaned. No clue though as to which one it was. I always dislike not knowing but they're back on line.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
Onewinglo

Post by Onewinglo »

I did a bit of troubleshooting today and determined the left flasher is bad. It will flash a few times then ionize (glow), which stops everything. The right strobe will flash all day with the left one disconnected. I cleaned and checked all grounds, applied sufficient voltage, swapped output between left and right... But one failing strobe stops everything. Should be an easy fix - I just hate to spend $74 for a strobe!
Thanks to all for the help.
JP
Ionizing flasher
image.jpeg
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Onewinglo wrote:I did a bit of troubleshooting today and determined the left flasher is bad. It will flash a few times then ionize (glow), which stops everything. The right strobe will flash all day with the left one disconnected. I cleaned and checked all grounds, applied sufficient voltage, swapped output between left and right... But one failing strobe stops everything. Should be an easy fix - I just hate to spend $74 for a strobe!
Thanks to all for the help.
JP
Ionizing flasher
image.jpeg
I could tell you a story about someone buying a bunch of $8.00 strobe tubes and taking the time to solder and mount one in the Whelen plastic.
But years later, the strobe is still functioning without issue so the story isn't finished yet.
Onewinglo

Post by Onewinglo »

David,
I'm pretty good with a soldering iron. I would love the hear that story...
JP
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!