Prop Survey

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

48RagwingPilot

Re: Prop Survey

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

Thanks, Joe. I'll drop you a PM tomorrow. Have also PM'd Bill up in Snohomish, so between the two of you hope to work something out.

Dave
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The engine was designed and will run all day long at 2700. In fact in other installations the same engine has a higher RPM limit.

Many folks with the belief they are saving the engine run it at lower RPM. You are not saving the engine. And depending on other factors you may see plug fouling etc. The most important thing is that the engine be broken in properly and this is when low RPM really hurts an engine.

After break-in, I wouldn't be afraid to fly around at an economical cruise. I also wouldn't be afraid of running it balls to the wall for extended periods. And I do both. I normally cruise between 2400 and 2500 and if I'm flying with friends who are flying their slower Cubs I'll pull the throttle back more as to not leave them in the dust. On the other hand I often fly with friends who are flying aircraft that average 150mph in cruise. In order to get to the dinner to place may order with them, I leave first, fly at 2600 RPM as straight as an arrow, don't waste time climbing to altitude unless winds are better and make private optimistic position reports to them about my position near our destination. They usually can't find me based on my report and choose to go wide or circle till they see me which is all I need. :evil: :D
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Ragwing,

I turn an 80/42 on my 55' B Model. I am in Snohomish. You are welcome to come up and we will fly mine if you can't get down to Longview. That or we need a C-170 fly-in/prop comparison meeting.

Jughead
48RagwingPilot

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

Jughead,

Thx for the invite! I'm a month or so away from flying, but will let you know when I'm ready to go.

Dave
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

48RagwingPilot wrote:Jughead,

Thx for the invite! I'm a month or so away from flying, but will let you know when I'm ready to go.

Dave
I think we all need to meet up!

Joe
Waterboy

Post by Waterboy »

Joe Moilanen wrote:

Dave

Joe

I have been considering the 80/42 prop. It would be great to meet up with you guys and compare. I'm just up the river from Longview in Hood River,Or.

How about a 170 meet up this spring when the weather starts improving.

Ken
48RagwingPilot

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

Sounds like a winner, Ken. I have a pretty ratty backcountry-ish ragwing, so it'll be nice to see what nice 170's looks like!!

Dave
wabuchanan

Post by wabuchanan »

I like Jugheads proposition of a fly-in comparison meeting. Great excuse to get together with a bunch of 170's!

My new 80-42 just left MA this morning it looks like, so should have it by next week :wink:
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

wabuchanan works too much, but I know where he keeps his airplane. I will plan to do a fly-off comparison of his two props while he's slaving away on another 80 straight work shift. :lol:
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Waterboy wrote:
Joe Moilanen wrote:

Dave

Joe

I have been considering the 80/42 prop. It would be great to meet up with you guys and compare. I'm just up the river from Longview in Hood River,Or.

How about a 170 meet up this spring when the weather starts improving.

Ken
Lets do it!!

Joe
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

I think a PNW 170 fly in would be great. Im in BC but love coming to the US. Lots of great spots to choose from. Ill also plug the
Texada Annual Fly-In 2016

Date/Time
Sunday, July 31, 2016
9:00 am - 3:00 pm

http://texada.org/events/texada-annual-fly-in-2016/
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

It is great to hear all the great responses and excitement of C-170 fly-ins in the PNW. One of the things I miss about being back in Texas was the monthly -170 Fly-ins. It has been my plan to put together a distribution list from the membership guide and start to organize monthly fly-ins around Washington.

Standby for more. Throw your ideas my way.

Jughead
Waterboy

Post by Waterboy »

counsellj wrote:It is great to hear all the great responses and excitement of C-170 fly-ins in the PNW. One of the things I miss about being back in Texas was the monthly -170 Fly-ins. It has been my plan to put together a distribution list from the membership guide and start to organize monthly fly-ins around Washington.

Standby for more. Throw your ideas my way.

Jughead
I like the idea of a monthly get together. Charley, Texada looks great but I bet we can find a time and place a little sooner too. How about picking a location in April where we can meet for lunch and grab one of those $100 hamburgers. If it we get weathered out we try again in May. Perhaps some where central to those that are interested.

Ken
wabuchanan

Post by wabuchanan »

counsellj wrote:wabuchanan works too much, but I know where he keeps his airplane. I will plan to do a fly-off comparison of his two props while he's slaving away on another 80 straight work shift. :lol:
HaHaHa!

We found an opening in the rain clouds this afternoon........125mph @ 2550 in dense cold air (DM7653) with the pants off and the 6.00 x 6 tires on. :mrgreen:

More comparisons to come in the near future!

~Bill
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
juredd1

Post by juredd1 »

On the off chance that I find a bag of unclaimed money can someone give me an idea of how much the 80/42 prop would set me back?

Justin
My playground....
35°58’52.01” N 93°06’27.51” W
'54 170B White and Green with a hint of Red