Flying Phonomena

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

blueldr

Flying Phonomena

Post by blueldr »

Have any of you other intrepid aviators ever noticed that there seems to be certain sounds and feelings in an airplane that occur only when you're flying over mountainous terrain on an extremely dark night or over a very large body of water? This phenomena apparently decreases as the number of installed engines is increased and is very much more pronounced in aircraft with reciprocating engines than in turbine equipped airplanes.
BL
sfarringer

Re: Flying Phonomena

Post by sfarringer »

Fortunately, my '48 doesn't do that! At least not yet.....
It's gotten me to Newfoundland, and the Turks and Caicos, with none of that.
Ragwing S/N 18073
pdb

Post by pdb »

I have a friend who flew a 185 around the world. Whenever he flew at night or over water, which was a lot, he would swear that the engine started sounding a bit rougher. His solution was to turn up the volume of the music in his headphones.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Dick- We all hope you had a good Christmas and everything is going your way.

For years, I used to frequently hear an annoying voice that said "Don't go, you're gonna die" when I called Flight Service but I haven't heard it in a few years, since I started getting briefings online.

When I fly in Alaska, the auto-rough is on all the time so I don't notice it anymore.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

A number of years ago I was sent over to Christchurch from Australia to fix and bring home a broken down Boeing 767. The pneumatic duct was replaced and we were ready for departure at midnight with no passengers or flight attendants. It was just 2 pilots and myself. After takeoff I left the cockpit and laid back a set in business class for some sleep. All lights were out .it was just me in that big empty black cabin. Half way down the cabin a overhead bin popped open by it self . Then it sounded if a toilet down the back had flushed. I could hear voices some where . So it was time to investigate. I checked all the galleys and toilets and under all the seats . NO body found . Then when I was walking back to my laid back seat it sprung up to the vertical by it self. I was spooked. The rest of the flight I was always looking over my shoulder.
After landing and walking up the aero bridge the pilots asked me 'What and the hell you were doing back there? We could hear a racket going on ."
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

When I was stationed at Mather AFB, the Air Force Navigation School, we flew the T-29 Nav Trainer, a Convair 240 airliner airplane. One of the training missoins was an over water flight to train for use of the LORAN system. The route was northwest to Point Arena , then west out over the Pacific Ocean out of sight of land, then south for a couple of hours , then back in over Pigeon Point.
It always amazed me how many of those Prat and Whitney R-2800 engines went into automatic rough about two minutes outbound from Point Arena. We had a few that got rough enough for the pilots to abort the mission and return to thr base. I don't remember ever finding any trouble or cause for the roughness. There was one pilot that returned one too many times and wound up having to leave the Air Force. That appaently made those engines shape up and they ran a lot smoother after that.
BL
Lopez

Post by Lopez »

pdb wrote:I have a friend who flew a 185 around the world. Whenever he flew at night or over water, which was a lot, he would swear that the engine started sounding a bit rougher. His solution was to turn up the volume of the music in his headphones.
Proctor???
busav8or

Post by busav8or »

Anybody else notice that those funny sounds and feelings seem to get worse with age, too? Back when I started flying at the age of 16 I never noticed them. But now that the digits have reversed and I'm 61 I hear and feel them way more often! Must be my sharpened senses over the years!! :lol:
Former Caretaker of N4410B '55 170B
s/n: 26754
pdb

Post by pdb »

Lopez wrote:
pdb wrote:I have a friend who flew a 185 around the world. Whenever he flew at night or over water, which was a lot, he would swear that the engine started sounding a bit rougher. His solution was to turn up the volume of the music in his headphones.
Proctor???

Not Prosser, but his partner Rick Besse.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Geraldine ( "Gerry" ) Mock flew around the world in her C-180, "38 Charley", back in 1964. She waited until sundown in Hawaii for a 2400 mile night flight over the Pacific Ocean to Oakland, CA. She was a very petite woman who even needed rudder pedal extensions. How did they pack that much guts in such a small package?
BL
strangebird

Post by strangebird »

The book is $2.99 on Amazon, kindle version, the hard copy is big bucks,
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

It's been re-printed. The new printing is not expensive.

http://www.38charlie.com/
Ragwing S/N 18073
Seafeye

Post by Seafeye »

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-en ... are_button

My Uncle from Engkand built a Long Ez. He already flew it around the wirld. Now he is doing England/North America/ South America and maybe Antartica.
1950 Cessna 170A
N5793C
Serial 19837
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Seafeye,
Do you know what your uncles routing was crossing the Pacific Ocean?
BL
Seafeye

Post by Seafeye »

The plan was to fly over Japan and go up through Russia. But the tsunami had just happened and he couldn't get permission to fly over. He was forced to put the airplane in a container and had it shipped to the west coast of Canada. I suspect he will do the flight again to close the gap.
1950 Cessna 170A
N5793C
Serial 19837