Continental Engine Paint

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

DMACJR

Continental Engine Paint

Post by DMACJR »

Okay, this goes out to you folks, in particular the older folks, in that I am trying to ascertain what the "correct" paint colors are for the O-300, as I have seen all GOLD, Gold case/cyl, gold pan, grey accy case, then gold case/cyl, grey pan, grey accy case......etc.... also any insight to any compatible high temp paints, other than Continental Gold, which I am sure is NOT cheap, ie'. I was told that Pontiac Gold is a close match..........
VFR52170B

Re: Continental Engine Paint

Post by VFR52170B »

See Dillon Barron's '54 for an example. It's perfect.

- Joseph
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Since Joseph didn't post a link...

www.cessna170restoration.blogspot.com

I'm not sure that he calls out specific paints and colors, but he's very easy to contact and is very willing to share information as necessary. If you don't care about original, then Continental Gold or everything except accessories with cadmium plated valve covers are what the new engines look like.
Lopez

Post by Lopez »

Oldsmobile gold, same as continental gold. I've painted all the overhauls I've done with this.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

DMACJR wrote:Okay, this goes out to you folks, in particular the older folks, in that I am trying to ascertain what the "correct" paint colors are for the O-300, as I have seen all GOLD, Gold case/cyl, gold pan, grey accy case, then gold case/cyl, grey pan, grey accy case......etc.... also any insight to any compatible high temp paints, other than Continental Gold, which I am sure is NOT cheap, ie'. I was told that Pontiac Gold is a close match..........
If you're wishing to stay truly "original"... it might help to know that Continental did not paint their engines "gold" until after the end of the 170 production. When 170 were coming off the line, the crankcases were grey, the cylinders and accy's were black.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)