Cabin Entry Step

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle Wolfe

Re: Cabin Entry Step

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

I'm sure others do as well, but I keep a well made plastic stool in the hangar. I use this for almost any passenger for both ease as well as saving stress on the step as well as the assist strap (hard to find replacements!)

I recently had a 6'3" guy pushing 280+ and even though he's pretty agile it really makes entry and egress easy. And it fits in the baggage door well too!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I'm 170 lb. and I don't like the way the step bends when I use it. But I guess I can stop worrying ...
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

Frank and others,

Thanks guys for in put. It appears Joe and I have tested the upper limits for passengers using the Entry Step ( 310# by Joe and 360# my plane).

When I purchased my plane 32 years ago both entry steps had be repaired and one was shorter than the other. 8O In 2005, I notice cracking on the pilot side step and decided to replace both steps with new parts.

I purchased the new steps from Williams Aircraft Co. for $250 each. They are duplicates of the Cessna part however the steel wall thickness is much greater than those made by Cessna. (The paper work does not give thickness) But, I am assuming the stronger Williams Entry Steps (PN #WAC71006-1 (-2) saved me when my 360# friend boarded the plane. Next time a big guy boards I will provide one of those portable steps to help spread the load 8)
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I am not making this into a discussion on larger people flying but that step will take a heap of punishment . Nearly over 12 years ago I took a friend of mine on a flight because he had lead a disadvantage life due to his size and had missed out on some of life's pleasures due to his size . He was always asking me about some of my flying adventures so I asked Alan would you want to come for a fly with me . The way his face lit up was a very motivating factor to get me organised.
We met down at the aero club one morning and had only 1/2 tanks and the club had this plastic box they used for steps sometimes . When in th aero club the chief pilot pulled me aside and asked if I had done a weight and balance for the flight . Yes, all good I am at max weight and density altitude is on the limit . While it was my aircraft , the chief pilot was thinking about me . The pax seat was all the way back and the seat belts were extended as far as they would go . The plastic box was placed under the step and 2 people were helping Alan into the aircraft on the right hand side . I was in the cabin helping him get in also . We finally got him when he remarked the steps had given away . The plastic box was split but he had used my aircraft step also be that had bent under the aircraft like a banana . BUT he was in and seat belted in. The door was closed . I gave him a run down what we did in a accident, and how to exit etc etc. I will not say what he said to me then .
we started and taxied away to the runway . All checks were good and takeoff roll commenced . The runway was 650 meters long and it was all used . As I was progressing down the runway I noticed many people lining the fence watching . At the time I thought this a bit strange and continued to fly the aircraft . With the continental screaming about 110hp or less due to the density altitude we lifted off. It was a very slow climb but we got to 1000ft and departed the circuit . I showed Alan his house from the air and then some of the beaches nearby . Due to fuel restrictions we had to head back and with out thinking about him I turned the aircraft on about 25 deg bank for home .
Alan had a panic attack and started grabbing things , after the yelling stopped it was very quiet trip home . After landing he said he was very sorry etc etc . It's cool I told him. My fame spread wide and far ,he told his business's buddies what a great pilot I was . Some people in the aero club were placing bets I wouldn't get off the ground .
Allan told me me he was 470 lbs but I suspect he was a LOT heavier than that . BUT the step was straighten with a bit of heat and still going strong .
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

PS. Allan is deceased now and that's why I can tell my story . Every time we meet in company of others he would always tell of his flight with me .
Onewinglo

Post by Onewinglo »

Great story ghostflyer, thanks for sharing it!
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!