Best angle of climb and best range glide speeds ?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rudymantel

Best angle of climb and best range glide speeds ?

Post by rudymantel »

Can anyone please tell me the best angle of climb speed (Vx) and the max range power off glide speed for the 170B? And where those speeds are listed ?

As best I recall, the max range glide speed (max L/D) can be derived by finding the speed where altitude can be maintained with minimum power. But is it listed "officially"?

I looked in the TCDS, the Acft Flight Manual and the Owner's Manual but didn't see those speeds.

Rudy
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

This airplane was made before it became common to publish such speeds but their equivalent can be found in the Owner's Manual, Section V, Operational Data.
According to the take off data charts (which consider obstacle clearance, therefore would be most interested in best angle of climb):
Best Angle of Climb, Flaps up is 76 mph.
Best Angle of Climb, Flaps T. O. is 67 mph.
"Normal" (whatever that means) Rate of Climb flaps up is 89 at Sea Level decreasing to 79 at 7K feet according to the same charts.
Notice however that Section II, Operating Check list, Item F. (6) specifically states that the Best rate of climb is 88 mph IAS.
The Check List, item H (4) suggests a glide speed of 70-75 mph.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

George, thank you-
Rudy