27% 170B build

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Metal Master

Re: 27% 170B build

Post by Metal Master »

Aryana,
It is a small world. I do the annual inspections 0n the Menzs Globe Swift mentioned in the link you posted of which he built an electric scale model of. He also built a Top Flight Corsair a model which I have been working off and on for years. Dave is a prolific builder, Being as he has one in collage and two others in school and is also building a full scale Steen Sky Bolt it's a wonder he has the time.
On another Model aircraft story I observed the first "official" flight on a rainy afternoon yesterday of the replica Douglas World Cruiser. Links to the world cruiser project and the Wiki Article concerning the subject aircraft below. Bobs World Cruiser project is indeed a full scale model including the Liberty engine with which he intends to fly around the world in a commemorative flight.
Tom Imrich the (Test) pilot had actually flown the airplane in his words five or six times over the last few weeks before its official first flight was flown in front of a huge crowd at the Museum of Flight in Seattle yesterday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_World_Cruiser
http://www.seattleworldcruiser.org/
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

OK stop. This is getting scary. I was scrolling down the panel install picts when I saw you installed an ash tray and head phone jacks and placarding. 8O On the second scroll down I stop and start looking at the detail of the ash tray and headphone jack wondering how the heck you made or found those. After a few seconds I realize that image is the real plane. You have got to label those real plane pictures better. :)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:OK stop. This is getting scary. I was scrolling down the panel install picts when I saw you installed an ash tray and head phone jacks and placarding. 8O On the second scroll down I stop and start looking at the detail of the ash tray and headphone jack wondering how the heck you made or found those. After a few seconds I realize that image is the real plane. You have got to label those real plane pictures better. :)
I did the same thing.
170C

Post by 170C »

Ayarna, your interior project is looking good. You better be careful however or Del will be hiring you to come to Arkansas and work on the full scale ones :D
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Once again your work is incredible!
I really had to look close at the seat shot that shows the dash. At first I thought it was your BIG bird!
Your project is really looking good!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I used to have a friend with a C-182 that had red upholstery in it. He liked to practice instrument flying under the hood and I often went along as safety pilot. About a hour in that red bastard and I started getting bilious and was ready to land. The experience was worthwhile just to learn that I must not ever ever think about red upholstery in an airplane.
BL
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

So Dick which definition, 1 or 2, did you mean?

bil·ious/ˈbilyəs/
adjective
1. affected by or associated with nausea or vomiting.
"I had eaten something that didn't agree with me and I was a little bilious"
synonyms: nauseous, sick, queasy, nauseated, green around the gills; rarequalmish "I felt bilious"

2. spiteful; bad-tempered.
"outbursts of bilious misogyny"
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

John,
I meant that that red SOB made me want to puke! It would have been a great color for a '57 Chevy Convertable. I'm a Ford man anyway.
BL
falco

Post by falco »

do they move back and forth on little seat tracks?
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

Aryana wrote:I didn't want to deal with the seat track AD so I decided to leave them out :wink:

Seriously though, I installed magnets in two locations so they can be placed more aft for a better view of the panel
How will that effect the compass? :mrgreen: Man such a basic error, come all this way only to head north...LOL.. :D .absolutely beautiful job!
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

DUDE!

You're getting down to Graeme Mears' level of detail now. I love all of it!!
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Poncho - no need to worry about compass error. I'm sure Arash will install a gps like he's got in his full scale! :lol:
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Incredible!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

Aryana wrote:Glad you approve Ryan!

Kyle/Poncho, the plane will actually have a functioning GPS on board, which records altitude relaying it via telemetry to my transmitter. :D

All of this is possible because of the awesome radio system Ryan Smith donated to the project. 8)

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Technology/Telemetry.aspx

The telemetry data on this model will include:

Airspeed (actual, not GPS)
GPS altitude
CHT
Receiver & ignition battery voltage
Engine RPM
G-meter
OMG you are a Rocket Scientist.....I can't wait for first flight!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

He's a 27% rocket scientist. Miles is our resident steely-eyed rocket-man. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)