More on VGs from Avweb

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

pdb

More on VGs from Avweb

Post by pdb »

Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
bagarre

Re: More on VGs from Avweb

Post by bagarre »

I don't doubt the benefits of VGs as I've seen the night and day difference in stall behavior in my Dad's old Hyperbipe.

Also, the airlines wouldn't be sticking them all over the place if they didn't do any good.

I just can't imagine spending $1,400 to make my plane handle better in slow flight. The thing is already a wonderful slow flying airplane and I can already have it down and stopped in 1/3rd of the shortest runway I fly into (Freeway is 2400 feet)

I'm also a little scared of trying them out and realizing what I'm missing out on :wink:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

bagarre wrote:I don't doubt the benefits of VGs as I've seen the night and day difference in stall behavior in my Dad's old Hyperbipe.

Also, the airlines wouldn't be sticking them all over the place if they didn't do any good.

I just can't imagine spending $1,400 to make my plane handle better in slow flight. The thing is already a wonderful slow flying airplane and I can already have it down and stopped in 1/3rd of the shortest runway I fly into (Freeway is 2400 feet)

I'm also a little scared of trying them out and realizing what I'm missing out on :wink:

The airlines don't "stick" 'em all over the place. The vortex generators on airliners are usually for a slightly different purpose...they're a sort of "band aid" to correct problems... that of keeping boundary layer energized at high speed.

I don't care if anyone wants to do it to their own airplane 'cause they like the improved aileron control at slow speed... I just don't find the 170 needs to go any slower than it already does, or land any shorter than it already does. (It might allow it to take off in places it gets into that it otherwise might not get out of.... I admit that. But when it's that close.... I don't want or need that sort of challenge in my own type of flying is all.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

bagarre wrote: Also, the airlines wouldn't be sticking them all over the place if they didn't do any good.
In case it wasn't incredibly obvious, that was a tongue in cheek comment.
I don't actually believe the airliners are randomly sticking VGs all over the place because they have nothing better to do.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Hey somebody might be trying to make a living over here ! :D
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

About time to start talkin Mogas ,MMO, and a few other things again. Some swear by it others swear at it :roll: .
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)