How long have you owned your 170?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ryan Smith

Re: How long have you owned your 170?

Post by Ryan Smith »

Yes. That's Zenda Liess, the DPE for our area. Some guys on the field talked her into buying the airplane to do tailwheel checkouts when Ed Murray (man in New York my dad sold her to) again listed her for sale in July 2012. The airplane is based back at our home airport, Air Harbor (W88). My wife and I will likely be moving back home to Greensboro in a month or so and we'll actually be in NC this weekend through next Thursday for a quick visit. My wife will actually be visiting family in Concord because of her grandparents; I'm doing chauffeur and emotional support. I've always wanted to see your airplane in person, Walt, since they are just one serial number away from one another and so close geographically now. I see at some point your airplane lost the air box cowl and now sports a pressure cowl?
DuaneShockey

Post by DuaneShockey »

I bought my 48 rag in 1976 (38 yrs ago) for $4,000 I really don't think I need any other plane. Hoping to join the Octagenerian Club in 10 years and still have the 170. I've been as far as Guadalajara Mex, Rhode Island, Talkeetna Ak. etc Duane Shockey (San Diego)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

HA wrote:OK, I know I'm an interloper, ... I taught my (future) wife how to fly in it in 1983, so that's how long I've been associated with it.
When do you plan to finally marry the lady? :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
HA

Post by HA »

good point George! no, I managed to talk her into that in '84, even after I was her instructor. I must have been a really good one! or more likely she saw other positive attributes, although for the life of me I can't figure out what they are....
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

Ryan Smith wrote:Yes. That's Zenda Liess, the DPE for our area. Some guys on the field talked her into buying the airplane to do tailwheel checkouts when Ed Murray (man in New York my dad sold her to) again listed her for sale in July 2012. The airplane is based back at our home airport, Air Harbor (W88). My wife and I will likely be moving back home to Greensboro in a month or so and we'll actually be in NC this weekend through next Thursday for a quick visit. My wife will actually be visiting family in Concord because of her grandparents; I'm doing chauffeur and emotional support. I've always wanted to see your airplane in person, Walt, since they are just one serial number away from one another and so close geographically now. I see at some point your airplane lost the air box cowl and now sports a pressure cowl?
Sorry I missed this Ryan. Yes the pressure cowl was installed in about 62 when they installed the "0" time O-300D. When your here give me a shout and we can get together somewhere, if your interested. If you PM I'll give you my phone number. I've had 55D since '96 and had the engine overhauled in 2010.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

N2255D wrote:
Ryan Smith wrote:Yes. That's Zenda Liess, the DPE for our area. Some guys on the field talked her into buying the airplane to do tailwheel checkouts when Ed Murray (man in New York my dad sold her to) again listed her for sale in July 2012. The airplane is based back at our home airport, Air Harbor (W88). My wife and I will likely be moving back home to Greensboro in a month or so and we'll actually be in NC this weekend through next Thursday for a quick visit. My wife will actually be visiting family in Concord because of her grandparents; I'm doing chauffeur and emotional support. I've always wanted to see your airplane in person, Walt, since they are just one serial number away from one another and so close geographically now. I see at some point your airplane lost the air box cowl and now sports a pressure cowl?
Sorry I missed this Ryan. Yes the pressure cowl was installed in about 62 when they installed the "0" time O-300D. When your here give me a shout and we can get together somewhere, if your interested. If you PM I'll give you my phone number. I've had 55D since '96 and had the engine overhauled in 2010.
Thanks for the offer, Walt. I'll be sure to look you up once we get settled back in the area. I saw the old girl for the first time since October 15, 2008 early on Saturday morning on our way into town. Air Harbor is about three minutes from my parents' house on our way into town. Since I have been chomping at the bit to see her since she returned to the area, and we were traveling with our three dogs, I did have a valid reason to stop by the (empty) airport on our way in to let them stretch their legs and pee before meeting my parents' wild German Shorthair Pointer puppy for the first time. It's amazing how much things change, and how much they stay the same. She's only flown about 150 hours since I last saw her, and she looks okay. A few questionable dings here and there, some forgotten hail damage on the horizontal stabilizer (I thought my father replaced the top skins, but apparently he just treated some corrosion) but otherwise nothing has really changed. Far from being an Oshkosh Grand Champion (yet), she's still the most beautiful airplane on the field.
Attachments
Our last look on our way back out of town yesterday morning.
Our last look on our way back out of town yesterday morning.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

We aren't far behind Ed and Mary. We bought our 1952 C170 in February 1972. It was a freezing cold winter day when I found the "For Sale" ad in the Sunday Morning Kansas City Star. I had gone out and got the paper and the freezing rain had soaked into the plastic bag the paper guy had wrapped it in. I spread it out on the carpet in front of the fire place and with my coffee cup beside me I stretched out and started looking through the ads. As soon as I saw that ad, I called out to Deana - Darlin, get your coat on - - here is a 170 for sale". I called the number and after a couple of minutes chatting told the airport manager that we were on the way. Our first stop was the airport at Atchison KS where we had our PA20 tied down. That was a "NO GO" as there was at least 2" of clear ice covering the airplane. The mains were spraddled out as far as the bungees would let them go. The Fawcett airport was only 20 miles so we drove the icy hiways and we made it there in record time. Funny enough there were two 170s for sale that day. One was a GREEN and polished 49 "A" model. It was also sitting outside and had the ice coat as had covered our Piper. The other was the '52B model -Blue and Polished - in a closed hangar along with the owners other plane, a Cessna 175. I went in and tried to start a conversation but the fellow told me "Well I have these two planes advertised and if I sell the 175 first I am going to keep the 170.

I was really dejected but thought the guy had that right. I knew the airport manager pretty well and walked back to the flight shack and told him of the discussion. "OH NO HE DON'T" He went to the phone and made a call. "You just wait here for a little bit" he said. Come to find out this guy was the brother-in-law and he knew the financial situation. He came back directly and told me that his sister, who was on the way over, made the money decisions. She came in and advised me that when I got the money together the deal would go through. Ten minutes later the owner came walking into the lounge and apologized. He said he really hated to let his 170 go but he needed the money to repair his wrecked ag truck so If I could come backl with cash by Tuesday we would have a deal. I offered to give him $500 cash to hold it but he said "It is Sunday and I don't do business on Sunday but I'll shake your hand and expect to hear from you by Tuesday".

I got the check for $8500.00 ( :D ) Monday and beat it up to Fawcett and he gently kissed his baby good by. I think he shed a tear but made us very happy. So 42 years this month, 5000 some hours, one night time engine-out, one embarrassing stunt leaving me upside down on a muddy road, flights to Mexico, Canada and 30+ states, have filled many photo albums and made us memories by the buckets full.
Attachments
Sept 09 035.jpg
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Gary,

Very cool story! Where do you keep your airplane? My mother's side of the family is from Shreveport and we generally go down about once a year at Thanksgiving. We haven't been in the past several years, but are planning to this year. I'd love to swing by sometime and meet and oogle your airplane.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Ryan Smith wrote:Gary,

Very cool story! Where do you keep your airplane? My mother's side of the family is from Shreveport and we generally go down about once a year at Thanksgiving. We haven't been in the past several years, but are planning to this year. I'd love to swing by sometime and meet and oogle your airplane.

Ryan, Our little airport is about 70 miles south of Shreveport. We are on Toledo Bend at 5LS9. The approach to RWY 01 comes in over the Airport cove. That picture of our 170 is just in front of our hangar on the west side about halfway down. This pic is the 170 in our front yard looking south toward the lake. We would love for you all to come by. At that time of the year it would be Cajun fried turkey or chicken/sausage gumbo and of course if George horn hasn't been by recently the barn fridge always has some brown brew. I even keep some St Pauli Girl.
Attachments
Sept 09 022.jpg
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!