Arm Rest

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Arm Rest

Post by 170C »

FWIW - One of the most useful items I added to my plane (and I haven't seen very many in members 170's) are arm rests. Early on I found my left arm getting a bit weary on longer flights so I located a pair of short arm rests that likely came from an older sedan or pickup. The kind that are rounded on each end and open where your fingers go. I installed a doubler/gusset where each of the two mounting screws would go. I put the armrests at a slight angle (front just a bit higher than the back). Over the years I found them to add a lot of comfort to me and my companions. In later years I replaced the original '56 doors with later model 172 doors so I would have an opening window on the passenger door and attached the same arm rests to those doors as well. Those doors already had provisions for the mounting screws, but they had the rests in a more of less level attitude rather than at the aforementioned angle. They aren't "quite" as comfortable as when at an angle, but after a while I got used to them. The arm rests do not cause any problem with your body because they are forward of that area and they facilitate closing the doors as well.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
jon s blocker

Re: Arm Rest

Post by jon s blocker »

I have a set of arm rests from the rear of our 53B model. I didn't put them in the back because they make taking the back seat out, a real pain. As I take the back seat out quite often, I just left them out. They match the rest of the interior and it appears it might be an option for someone to use a rear set for the front, (mounted as you did on yours). Good idea for long range comfort, (Mine is good for 5 hrs., Corpus Christi to OKC). :)