Best three mods

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: Best Three Mods

Post by GAHorn »

It's a simple logbook entry. There were actually three axles which could be installed originally. The first hollow alum axle (which often failed when skis were installed and sometimes even on wheels), then a second "improved" hollow alum axle (which, although beefier, still failed), then the solid "ski" alum axle. Also approved is the Cessna steel hollow axle and the aftermarket PMA'd copy.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Strangely enough, the two guys that I know who are in the buisness of recovering and storing wrecks for the insurance companies both tell me they've never seen broken Cessna axle.
Ten or twelve years ago, up at Johnson Creek, a guy made a hard landing with a tailwheel converted C-182 and broke off the bottom of the left gear leg at the upper axle bolt line, the stub of the leg dug in and the airplane went over. It didn't break the axle though. It totaled out the airplane on the first trip made in it. The break line across the upper axle bolt line showed rust in a crack which indicated that the crack was somewhat aged, The guy admitted that he bought the
C-180 landing gear legs for the conversion from a private party and did not have them magnafluxed or otherwise NDTd prior to installation.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The 180 never had aluminum axles.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

gahorn wrote:It's a simple logbook entry. There were actually three axles which could be installed originally. The first hollow alum axle (which often failed when skis were installed and sometimes even on wheels), then a second "improved" hollow alum axle (which, although beefier, still failed), then the solid "ski" alum axle. Also approved is the Cessna steel hollow axle and the aftermarket PMA'd copy.
I think part of the issue here is that the original poster is asking about installing the solid aluminum axles on a '48 170. When looking at the 1948 IPC only the original hollow aluminum axle, p/n 0441140, is listed; there is no optional ski axle listed, there is no "improved" hollow aluminum axle listed. The early 170A (s/n 18003-19219) however used the 0441140 original hollow axle. The later 170A (s/n 19219 and on) used an updated hollow axle, p/n 0541124. The ski axle, p/n 0541124-1, is listed as an option on in the 170A IPC.
gahorn wrote:The 180 never had aluminum axles.
I think George meant to say the C-185 never used aluminum axles or that the 180 never used hollow aluminum axles. The 180 IPC however lists three possible axles: 0541124-1 (the same p/n as the solid aluminum C-170b ski axle), 1441003-1 -- the four bolt steel axle, and 0741103 -- the 8 bolt ski axle.
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Attachments
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Gary
48RagwingPilot

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

Yes, that is the issue. I have yet to see any definitive approval basis for installing solid aluminum axles on a '48 C170. :(
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

If the SLN and C-170A IPC data presented here isn't enough for your A&P to sign that off as a minor alteration have him present that data along with this SDR to the local FSDO for a field approval. My guess is the FSDO guy will tell your A&P to quit wasting his time and sign it off as a minor alteration.

Edit: In the link above enter 0441140 in the part number field.
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I believe that you'll find the later axles are the ones offered as superceded PN's, and are therefore approved parts.
Example, the early alum hollow axle is discontinued, and the later hollow alum axle is superceded to the -0 which supercedes to the -1 axle.
In any event, if you contact a Cessna distributor they will provide you with the approval basis (superceded.)
The phone calls necessary to get that answer/support from Cessna should be included in the hourly wage your A&P charges you for labor. (Is he asking YOU to provide the basis?) If he doesn't know how to find the approval basis you might wish to let him know you're shopping for another repairman. :wink:
Francis Cahoon

Post by Francis Cahoon »

for my type of flying, the 360 engine and mods, 180 gear legs, 26" tires with cleveland brakes. along with these three STOL kit, double landing lights, p-pong, gap fillers, different tail, seats, weight removal. Hope this helps, seems to be alot of good advice. Happy Flying.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Francis, can you explain further what you mean by "different tail"?
swixtt

Re: delete

Post by swixtt »

i'm looking at getting rid of my Alum axles and installing the Steel ones. (170b 52') i found some used 180 ones and wonder, even if they look good, how can they be inspected?
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

If the axles are steel, "Magnaflux" is the method of inspection.
BL
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

Thx BL, i'll see if i can get them. really need to get those swapped out.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

swixtt wrote:i'm looking at getting rid of my Alum axles and installing the Steel ones. (170b 52') i found some used 180 ones and wonder, even if they look good, how can they be inspected?
What style aluminum axles are you getting rid of? A friend here has just bought a C-140 with the thin wall aluminum axles and is looking to upgrade to the reinforced or solid axles.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

What style aluminum axles are you getting rid of?
well that is a very good question. i have hollow but unsure the 'version' of them. are there dimensions that i can easily compare them too?
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I thought there was only hollow, solid and steel.