Photo Album

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ryan Smith

Re: Photo Album

Post by Ryan Smith »

Aryana wrote:Thanks! It was an epic sunset flight yesterday from KWVI to KHAF...
image.jpg
STOP!! :cry:
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Aryana wrote:How else can I tempt you to make a trip out to the west coast Ryan? 8)

Here's a short vid from my iPhone 6+ showing nice prop blur and stabilization.

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/aaryana/ ... E.mp4.html
By finishing that Hostetler 170. :lol:

Plus, I'm waiting on you to make it to NC.
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Ok,it's not a 170 but this one caught my eye. It's in Glasgow MT.
Hangar Bar.jpg
Hangar Bar.jpg (40.61 KiB) Viewed 36860 times
Poor (or is that pour?) J-3!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Here is my contribution, and where it all started for me. I was digging around on my Mac partition this evening and found this picture of my grandfather, Elmer Smith, posing with N2256D at W32 (Hyde Field in Clinton, MD) shortly after purchasing the airplane in September, 1986. I'm not exactly sure when the airplane was painted, I'm guessing around 1958 since it had 12" N numbers. The airplane would have been in Ohio around that time, shortly after coming east after spending the first five years of her life in San Diego/Long Beach/Visalia, CA. I remember the paint being very chalky, so 30 years of living outside would be about right.

She was sold new to the Air-Oasis Company of California, and was then sold to Gibbs Flying Service. Gibbs owned the airplane for six months, and presumably sold the airplane to a student as the first private owner got his ticket in 1952. I've been trying very hard to track down pictures of the airplane before she came into the family, but no such luck. If anyone finds a picture of this airplane at Gibbs, I would be forever indebted to you. :)
Attachments
image.jpg
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

It's not been the nicest flying weather lately but did get out today and saw quite a few of these.....

(For all your southerners - those are ice fishing houses)
Attachments
Nope - they're not porta potties on the ice....!!
Nope - they're not porta potties on the ice....!!
ice houses.jpg (22.27 KiB) Viewed 36650 times
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

Kyle Wolfe wrote:It's not been the nicest flying weather lately but did get out today and saw quite a few of these.....

(For all your southerners - those are ice fishing houses)

I wonder how much actual fishing is going on inside those houses ? :D
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
juredd1

Post by juredd1 »

Had some good flying weather up in North Central Arkansas on Saturday. I enjoyed my hour of flying very much. Landed for the first time on my farm place. I am still building confidence in my landing skills so I've been staying with what I know but Saturday I said today's the day. Loved nailing it.
Attachments
Reddell_Field_Mtn2.jpg
My playground....
35°58’52.01” N 93°06’27.51” W
'54 170B White and Green with a hint of Red
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Nice! Is that your RED pickup in front of the house?

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9820809 ... a=!3m1!1e3
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

Nice looking plane Justin :!:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
juredd1

Post by juredd1 »

Aryana wrote:That's fantastic! Must have felt real good to finally get it down on your property.
Thanks and yes it felt really, really good.
gahorn wrote:Nice! Is that your RED pickup in front of the house?
George,

Sorry to disappoint but that is my Uncle's RED truck actually in the back yard. The location is actually my Uncles place. I have been landing there with for about 9 years now with my 152 and for the past year or so with my 170. That is the location I was talking about when I said sticking with what I know. I keep my plane in the hanger we built for my plane just to the SW of the RED truck. I currently don't live on the farm place I own (My grandparents old home stead) nor do I have a hanger there. I now live about a mile north of my Uncle's place with no room for a strip. When I moved from the Little Rock Area back to my home town back in 06 we lived in my grandparents old home on that farm and I had a grader come in to smooth of the 30 x 1600 foot area to make it usable as a runway in hopes I would live permanently someday. We got 6 acres from the owners of the place then (my parents) to build on and had issues getting things to work for building a home. We found it easier to buy at the time as we were trying to have some children and my wife wasn't going to be happy in the small house we were in with kids. Don't mean to give you my life story here moving on to the point I hope, anyway I had used the strip at my place a few times in the 152 and a couple in the 170 with my uncle along for the rid to save my bacon if I really screwed up. It's just a little different, as I guess every strip is. The approach is cut short by a mountain to the south so you have to come up the valley and because of a pretty good rise in the middle of my strip you have to decide to either land at the start of just past middle as I'm staying away of the rising part of the strip for a while long. Once you get where you need to be it is tough for a go around, probably could be done this time of year but in the summer I would likely never climb out as there is also a mountain to the north. Probably not challenging for most but for me it was a big milestone. Being able to put the plane where I wanted to in somewhat unfamiliar (by myself) circumstances was exciting. I have landed on asphalt strips other than my Uncles place but this was the first grass strip that I did not have a nice straight in approach to a 2000' strip.

My place is here and the strip lays to the West of the pond and runs NE to almost the trees and to SW to the fence line/trees.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9428771 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Oh by the way I'm not totally against RED.....I had a RED headed girlfriend for a quite a while once but it didn't turn out to well for me!

Justin
Last edited by juredd1 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My playground....
juredd1

Post by juredd1 »

170C wrote:Nice looking plane Justin :!:
Thank ya much Frank.
My playground....
Onewinglo

Post by Onewinglo »

Justin,
That is so cool to get to land at the family farm! I'm still new with only about 125 total hours, and about 18 hours in my 170, so i love it when I get to try a new field.
JP
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!
170C

Post by 170C »

That looks like a pretty nice runway. You can never have too much runway, but as you get more comfortable with your plane I think you will do OK there.

That red stripe look pretty good on your plane and since its just a stripe I think the GREEN paint will be able to dominate and the red won't slow you down too much :lol: :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

OH YEAH.... the Google Map ability to "tilt" the view definitely gives an idea of the mountain obstructions you deal with!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
juredd1

Post by juredd1 »

Onewinglo wrote:Justin,
That is so cool to get to land at the family farm! I'm still new with only about 125 total hours, and about 18 hours in my 170, so i love it when I get to try a new field.
JP
It was a dream of mine. When I was living down close to Little Rock and finally got a chance to move back home it was a dream to own a place I could have a strip and have my plane right behind my home. I have the strip but still working on the getting the home and plane at the same location. LORD willing some day.
170C wrote:That red stripe look pretty good on your plane and since its just a stripe I think the GREEN paint will be able to dominate and the red won't slow you down too much :lol: :mrgreen:
Frank I had concerns when I bought the plane with all the GREEN/RED chatter on this form. I wasn't sure how things would turn out with the conflicting speeds based off the colors but the RED seems to accept being dominated by the GREEN.
gahorn wrote:OH YEAH.... the Google Map ability to "tilt" the view definitely gives an idea of the mountain obstructions you deal with!
Yeah, that's pretty cool I knew you could do that from the Google Earth app but didn't know you could from the google map via the web. For my skill level right now it's a one way in, one way out strip. I'm not sure I could get it slow enough to land to the south as that is a gradual down hill slope and then not sure I can out climb the mountain for a takeoff to the north.

Justin
My playground....