Life Is Good, 170 style

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

DaveF

Life Is Good, 170 style

Post by DaveF »

In the morning I gave a ride to the wife and kids of a guy I work with. It was the standard 30-minute tour with a few circles around their house. That was fun. I then picked up my kids (10 and 14) for more flying. After an hour we stopped for lunch, and while eating, my daughter asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I said, "how about a Sunday afternoon flying around with my kids in the 170?" This evening I received an early present: A hand-drawn coupon good for 5,000,000 lunch trips to the Barnstormer Restaurant at Greeley. No expiration date. :D
GAHorn

Re: Life Is Good, 170 style

Post by GAHorn »

Yep! All I want for Christmas is 40 gals of AvGas! :P
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Now that's "Daddy's Girl"............precious!

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Very nice Steve I'm jealous.

It's been a while, about 13 years, since my youngest was 10. They enjoyed the flight specially if it included a stop at the green restaurant. The green restaurant is a green tiled oldt ime stainless restaurant, now just the front of the larger restaurant and Kutztown Airport in Pa. Kutztown Airport is now closed and as announced elsewhere my youngest now has her own daughter.

Take my advice and start cashing in on those 5,000,000 ASAP. :wink:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

N9149A wrote:Take my advice and start cashing in on those 5,000,000 ASAP. :wink:
Boy aint that the truth! They are gone before you know it! I almost never see my baby girl :cry: She's teaching third grade in Bonn Germany. At least the boys are still around (mixed blessing when looking for tools) Patrick is the only one with a log book. It's funny with a free plane and instructor, there seams to be no incentive to learn :roll: Awh... we'll just go up with dad......
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

They are gone before you know it!
Very true. It's hard to believe my daughter will go to middle school next year and my son to high school. I'll take Bruce's good advice and use as many of the 5 million as I can.
tigger

Post by tigger »

Weather wasn't great yesterday for flying, but it was our only opportunity to fly with our youngest son and his wife before they move to Sydney, Australia on Jan. 11 where he will be going to school for two years. I've never felt the urgency to fly with our kids since they've always been close by and available, but two years is a long time for our youngest to be half way around the world, so we all made time for this short flight together. Lanny & Sharon Crawford
Attachments
IMG_1141.jpg
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Lanny
You look "Proud as a Peacock" as I would be too :D kids look a little chilly though, but in love, as they hold hands...very nice pic.
Would that be GREEN GRASS in the background? You will have to set up a skype account so you can see and talk to them.

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
tigger

Post by tigger »

W--we are very proud of Brooks and Kris. He will be studying Christian music and she is a graphic artist and is hoping to work part-time down under and also work for clients in the US via the Internet. The kids got me a Webcam and my wife a Macbook Pro with wireless router for Christmas, and the Skype account is all set up. So we should be good to go! Happy New Year! Lanny
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Yea Tiger,
Skype is wonderful! for the first year Kendel was in Germany, we just talked, then we got a web cam, and now can see the little girl and talk! And she See's us. I'm not a tech type of person....after all Patrick, just bought Mom and I an HD flat screen television for Christmas. The old 23 inch with a converter box was just fine with me! But the Christmas present is just wonderful! I see stuff I've never seen before! I hope that the Skype thing works as well for you as it has for us. Anything that keeps the baby's closer to home is good.......Brad
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Well - I imagine that many of us have the pleasure of bringing our kids up in these planes... Funny thing, I have two boys - one 16, and I can only get him in the plane if the purpose of the flight is to further something he needs or wants to do. My other son is 12 and for example...

Last Wednesday the 30th, we left Chatham (CQX) and headed over to Martha's Vineyard (MVY) for some supper at about 6:00 PM. We had been waiting for the winds to finally calm down as the day before in Provincetown the automated report was 310 @ 35 gusting to 48, and had been like that for two days right up until the afternoon just before we flew.

It was really calm by the time we went up, and once over on the ramp at the Vineyard, the nice lady working the FBO desk told us the caffe closed at 3 - but she called over to Nantucket (ACK) and thier resturaunt was still open, so without shutting down, we launched and headed for Nantucket. Picture this - the moon was high and just about full, and ALL of Nantucket Sound, and the ocean beyond Nantucket was silver. We stayed just south west of the island and made a left base for 33, the small waves had silver reflections and you could see all the details of "Tuckernuck" island on the way in because it was so bright.

After landing we discovered the Wednesday's are "wings & pasta" night - .50 cent wings and all the pasta you can eat for 8.99 including salad. Food was great, as was talking with Marc. On the way back in to Chatham, all of Monomoy Island was bright as could be and we could see allot of outdoor Christmas lights in town. If it wasen't for the fact that it was about 9:30 PM, I think we would have just stayed up and took it all in. It dosen't get much better than that.

I realize one of these days he won't want to hang with dad, but untill then, I'll take all I can get. And as for Gregory - I'll keep trying to find ways he might need a flight... In two short years he's off to who knows what. But then I'm told they always come back :)

Why the heck would anyone want to sit on a couch with a clicker ???

Have a very safe, healthy and enjoyable New Year everyone.

Kyle T.
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

We flew out to lunch today. I have 4,999,999 lunches left on my account.
IMG_1595reduced.jpg
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

Its is hard to figure which way kids will go, just when you think you understand them they will change up on you, guess that is what it means to be an individual. Our son wanted to go to the Air Force Academy from the day he took his first flight with me at three years old. He was involved with the Civl Air Patrol all through highschool. In his senior year we had it all arranged for him to attend the Academy and low and behold he chose to go to UCLA instead! He majored in Political Science, turned into a Democrate, graduated and went to work For Diane Feinstien in Washinton D.C. I figured he had gone over to the dark side, but took comfort in the fact that he was still interested in contributing to our way of life in a positive way. One year later, I get a call in the middle of the night from my son informing me that he has chosen to go into the Navy Flight Program and would report to OCS in one week. Today he is a Lt. CMDR. flying HS60s and seriously considering the Navy as a Career.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

So Robert, first he turned into a Democrat then joined the Navy and start flying helicopters. Well at least he did that last thing right. :D :D
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Be Proud! Be Very Proud!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)